• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Millom via Manchester (Avanti Charm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A case of being proved right in the end...

I have travelled the route Euston to Millom all my life, in recent years on occasion I have found it cheaper to travel via Manchester, never had a problem booking the ticket like that and it's not a split ticket so must be a permitted route.

I needed to use some rail vouchers I've accumulated from delay repay so went to Euston to book the ticket instead. I approach the desk as normal very politely explained what I wanted and times etc as I already checked online to be sure it was cheaper to go via Manchester at £29 each way, I was told straight away without any check that wasn't allowed and I have to go via Warrington (never got off there in 38 years), after some debate about my longstanding knowledge of the route (keeping my cool)but not before being told "i was talking to someone who sold 100k tickets a year and I know what I'm talking about so i (me) needed to listen" he eventually relented and looked. I was proved right so was quietly satisfied and paid up and went.

I'm no snowflake and won't make an official complaint but someone else would easily have grounds to.

Never ever had this with Virgin, the cynic in me would say have Avanti asked staff on the quiet to discourage cheaper options.

Coupled with the loss of the seat selector im not impressed with this shower so far at all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
For some journeys it might be quicker going via Warrington and a bit longer going via Manchester. I am sure you might be able to point to cases were going via Manchester is quicker too.

I've just done a search myself and do need to enter Manchester as a via point to get journeys going that way. I think in your situation you are best opting for delay repay to be paid back onto a card or as a bank payment. Then you can continue to book your tickets online, as per your preferences, and avoid any conflict at the ticket office.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Via Manchester is a Permitted Route (and long may it say so). It's my preference to do so from the north WCML because typically with 3tph the trains are quieter, you board at the origin so less stressful and a good pick of seats, and Manchester Picc has lots of good food options.

I don't know why they'd want to discourage it - the Advance fares are deliberately lower that way because of that capacity! If they didn't want them lower they could just, er, increase them (by removing tickets from the lower quotas).

I hate to think what FG/TI have said to the staff - there is definitely a visible change of attitude. It's all very FGW. Ish, as the FGW Twitterers were (and under GWR no doubt still are) a mark above some of the rest.

Via Manchester is a Permitted Route (and long may it say so). It's my preference to do so from the north WCML because typically with 3tph the trains are quieter, you board at the origin so less stressful and a good pick of seats, and Manchester Picc has lots of good food options.

I don't know why they'd want to discourage it - the Advance fares are deliberately lower that way because of that capacity! If they didn't want them lower they could just, er, increase them (by removing tickets from the lower quotas).

I hate to think what FG/TI have said to the staff - there is definitely a visible change of attitude. It's all very FGW. Ish, as the FGW Twitterers were (and under GWR no doubt still are) a mark above some of the rest.

I'll concur with all of this, i havent ever travelled with FGW but have read plenty. It's no surprise that philosophy will be transposed onto West Coast, I pedict a bumpy ride to 2031 at this rate!!

For some journeys it might be quicker going via Warrington and a bit longer going via Manchester. I am sure you might be able to point to cases were going via Manchester is quicker too.

I've just done a search myself and do need to enter Manchester as a via point to get journeys going that way. I think in your situation you are best opting for delay repay to be paid back onto a card or as a bank payment. Then you can continue to book your tickets online, as per your preferences, and avoid any conflict at the ticket office.
It's never quicker via Manchester and adds just over 1/2 hour to the journey, however for the sake of almost saving 40 quid it's worth it.

As for conflict after using Euston for years about half the time i book tickets i always had no issues until now (in fact I've some very nice chats), at the end of the day there was no need for that member of staff to be high and mighty about it before even checking I was right , I couldn't care less if he sold a million tickets a year he was wrong and should have acknowledged that. Yes it is an unorthodox route but a permitted one.

Had it been me behind the counter i would have given me the benefit of the doubt especially after explaining I had took that route before, and when it was correct took a "well I never knew that!" or " you learn something new everyday" tone and not been so arrogant.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Never ever had this with Virgin, the cynic in me would say have Avanti asked staff on the quiet to discourage cheaper options.
In my opinion this is an irreverence. Both companies employed and employ staff with really very poor customer service skills, as you've experienced here.

The term 'snowflake' is widely misused and misinterpreted across the board, so it's generally better replaced with more descriptive words that carry less 'baggage'.

Obviously it's a choice that's entirely for you, but the only thing you can really be sure about is that if you don't contact the company through an official channel, your view won't be formally considered at all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's never quicker via Manchester and adds just over 1/2 hour to the journey, however for the sake of almost saving 40 quid it's worth it.

Yes. It seems the fares are set to deliberately encourage it. So why would staff think otherwise?

I get why TOCs might ask staff to be a bit awkward with passengers with splits as those do "work around" certain high fares, and while the TOC can't legally not allow them in the UK due to a ruling against BR years ago (they are banned in some countries e.g. Ireland) I can see why they might simply want to comply with the law on them and nothing more. But we're talking about through fares here - and Advances too - if the TOC doesn't like them it just needs to get rid!

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
I get why TOCs might ask staff to be a bit awkward with passengers with splits as those do "work around" certain high fares, and while the TOC can't legally not allow them in the UK due to a ruling against BR years ago (they are banned in some countries e.g. Ireland) I can see why they might simply want to comply with the law on them and nothing more.

No TOC should ever ask staff to be a bit award with passenger under any circumstances, including if it involves split tickets or a specific preference to take a journey via a totally valid route. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.