• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston - underground - 2 stations ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlSilva

Can anyone explian this oddity to me. I noticed on the tube planner website it says this, if you want to go from Euston to Belsize Park on the northern line.

Euston
Mornington Crescent
Camden Town
Chalk Farm
Belsize Park
I looked on teh map of that bit of the line, and it shows thsi.

Northern.gif

IS the map wrong or is Euston spread out over a wide area ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrGrumpy

Euston was indeed two seperate tube stations on the Northern Line until the mid-20s. The 'City Branch' being the former City & South London Railway, the 'Charing Cross Branch' being the former 'Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead' of 1906/7. The City & South London was rebuilt from about 1923 and merged with the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead to (eventually) become the Northern Line we have today. The City branch was further fiddled with when the Victoria line was built.

The attached image comes from the excellent Carte Metro site and shows the positions of the lines.

Attachments

• eustube.jpg
    eustube.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 320

USBT

Euston is now one station, but the Northern line Bank branch and Charing Cross branch have separate platforms. For changes to/from the Victoria line the Bank branch is easier (no stairs for those with heavy luggage). And Bank branch (and Victoria line) to street level (Euston mainline) is stair free.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The map/line diagram the OP shows is geographically wrong between Camden Town and Euston. The Charing Cross branch (inc. Mornington Crescent station) lies to the east of the Bank/City branch. The lines then cross over each other at Euston, with the stations now being combined (albeit with a bit of a walk to change from one branch to the other)

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The Northern line can function as two entirely separate lines in service because of the way the junctions at Kennington and Camden Town work. The Battersea extension under construction now will make it look even stranger when complete. There's been recurrent talk of a proper split, with each line gaining its own identity on the tube map, but the main blocker is the limited interchange capacity available at Camden Town. After a split, more passengers would need to change at Camden Town but the station is already massively overcrowded and not designed for that role. Transport for London are planning to do something about the station, but I don't think a split is likely until there are more trains to actually run any improved service. They have just cancelled an order for some more 1995/1996 tube stock to enhance Northern and Jubilee line capacity because it would be too expensive.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The original station for what is now the Charing Cross branch of the Northern Line can still be seen just across the road west of Euston station (south side of Drummond Street). It is easily recognisable by the red tiles and arched windows in the same style as other stations on the line. There is no public access but it is a ventilation shaft and maybe also an emergency exit, but I think it will disappear when the HS2 station is built in this area (the nearby Thistle Hotel has already closed for demolition).

I think the original station for the Bank branch, to the east of Euston, was demolished. It was possible to access the main station and connect between the two lines via a linking tunnel. The 1960s rebuild of the main line station, and addition of the Victoria Line, brought all the Underground accesses inside the main station.

The exception of course is Euston Square on the sub-surface lines, which run past the front of Euston station but stop further west with the public access to Euston Square station being at the far end. The HS2 station is intended to include a passage to the nearer east end of Euston Square station, effectively integrating it with Euston.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Carto map shows it most clearly. The Bank branch and the Charing Cross branch are entirely separate south of Camden Town. They share a station at Euston, but they are separate platforms and were originally separate stations. The original Bank branch station is still used as the southbound platform, which used to be an island platform, with the Victoria Line built around it.

One branch, the Charing Cross branch, has a station at Mornington Crescent, but the other does not.

tsr

Established Member
There are allegations that there was a passageway between Euston Square and Warren Street, cut off during the process of preparing the landing area between the two sets of escalators between Warren Street ticket hall and the Victoria Line.

It looks like the District Dave forum has debated this one, but I’m of the understanding that their conclusion wasn’t necessarily correct. My sources have said that the main problem with the access at the Warren Street end is that it’s now more of a hatch than a door, so would be unsuitable for anyone more than about 4ft tall.

Around that bit of London, there are all sorts of disused or partially filled passages like this - interesting enough, but not especially secret or sinister!

futureA

The original station for what is now the Bank branch of the Northern Line can still be seen just across the road west of Euston station (south side of Drummond Street). It is easily recognisable by the red tiles and arched windows in the same style as other stations on the line. There is no public access but it is a ventilation shaft and maybe also an emergency exit, but I think it will disappear when the HS2 station is built in this area (the nearby Thistle Hotel has already closed for demolition).

I think the original station for the Charing Cross branch, to the east of Euston, was demolished. It was possible to access the main station and connect between the two lines via a linking tunnel. The 1960s rebuild of the main line station, and addition of the Victoria Line, brought all the Underground accesses inside the main station.

The exception of course is Euston Square on the sub-surface lines, which run past the front of Euston station but stop further west with the public access to Euston Square station being at the far end. The HS2 station is intended to include a passage to the nearer east end of Euston Square station, effectively integrating it with Euston.

It’s the other way round. The building on Drummond Street was for the Charing Cross branch. The Bank branch building was demolished a while ago.

trash80

Established Member
The Hidden London tour of Euston covers all of this as you see the now-disused by the public parts of the underground station including the interchange and ex-ticket office between the 2 stations. Tickets for next year go on sale next week i believe.

wildcard

If old tunnels under Euston interests you - try going on the Hidden London tour . You see inside (at ground level only) the Leslie Green designed CCE&HR station ( Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway - the current Charing Cross branch ) and the original underground link complete with its own booking office between the CCE&HR platforms and those of the C&SLR . ( City and South London Railway - the current City branch). Euston was the C&SLR terminus at that time. Initially LNWR refused either company direct access from inside their station - so mainline passengers had to cross the streets to the respective above ground entrances. The CCE&HR station is due to go to make way for HS2 - the C&SLR station was demolished in 1934.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It’s the other way round. The building on Drummond Street was for the Charing Cross branch. The Bank branch building was demolished a while ago.
OK, must have got mixed up about where they crossed over. I'll edit my post.

trash80

Established Member
If old tunnels under Euston interests you - try going on the Hidden London tour . You see inside (at ground level only) the Leslie Green designed CCE&HR station ( Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway - the current Charing Cross branch ) and the original underground link complete with its own booking office between the CCE&HR platforms and those of the C&SLR . ( City and South London Railway - the current City branch). Euston was the C&SLR terminus at that time. Initially LNWR refused either company direct access from inside their station - so mainline passengers had to cross the streets to the respective above ground entrances. The CCE&HR station is due to go to make way for HS2 - the C&SLR station was demolished in 1934.

Yeah its a great tour, i went on it last year and took these photos which show some of the features you describe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/megara_rp/albums/72157668969598796

Status
Not open for further replies.