• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euxton WCML overhead wire problems 24 May 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Presently onboard 9S65 1143 Euston to Glasgow just departed Crewe. I understand there are overhead wire problems at Euxton initially affecting all 4 lines but now reported as affecting the fast lines only.

At risk of being "voyerish or spotterish" does anyone know what happened? Any pictures perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
At Euxton there was Auto Transformer work and of course old meets new as the Preston Blackpool new electrification kit meets the 1973 kit from Weaver -Glasgow extension. I wonder if it is those items that are the root cause?

40Mick

Local news article here states that the issue is between Preston and Euxton Balshaw lane, suggesting it's the WCML that's broken and not the branch line to Manchester

Mathew S

Established Member
Local news article here states that the issue is between Preston and Euxton Balshaw lane, suggesting it's the WCML that's broken and not the branch line to Manchester
It's affecting both the Bolton line and the WCML. According to staff at Piccadilly for a time all lines through Preston were blocked. Some lines are now (3pm) open, but not all. Absolute bedlam at Piccadilly with people advised to use TfW Chester services, and change at Warrington for Preston, Carlisle, Lancaster etc.

trainophile

Established Member
I am on the 1252 (departed 1300) from Edinburgh and our TM has been giving us regular updates about the situation. Just left Lancaster so hoping we get through Preston without too much further delay.

londonmidland

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly is, understandably, a bit of a mess right now, with delays and cancellations all over. Some of the services not directly affected by the overhead wire issues are being affected too, due to, what I presume is, congestion and train crew being out of place.

trainophile

Established Member
Right, need some delay repay advice.

Arrived at Wigan North Western at 1606, so assumed I had missed my 1604 connection from Wallgate and didn’t rush. However when I got to Wallgate at 1614 I discovered it had been running late and I had only just missed it.

I did try to check before arrival at WGN but couldn’t get a signal.

It now appears that the 1630 to Southport is running 14 minutes late so I will actually arrive just over half an hour after I would have done had I got the 1604.

Does this mean I can claim from Virgin (who presumably claim it back from Network Rail), or would they argue that I could have got the delayed 1604? I believe the official connection time between the two stations is 1 minute, but as it involves crossing a busy road that’s somewhat optimistic, especially when it takes a minute to get from the front of the train to the station exit at North Western.

Mathew S

Established Member
Right, need some delay repay advice.

Arrived at Wigan North Western at 1606, so assumed I had missed my 1604 connection from Wallgate and didn’t rush. However when I got to Wallgate at 1614 I discovered it had been running late and I had only just missed it.

I did try to check before arrival at WGN but couldn’t get a signal.

It now appears that the 1630 to Southport is running 14 minutes late so I will actually arrive just over half an hour after I would have done had I got the 1604.

Does this mean I can claim from Virgin (who presumably claim it back from Network Rail), or would they argue that I could have got the delayed 1604? I believe the official connection time between the two stations is 1 minute, but as it involves crossing a busy road that’s somewhat optimistic, especially when it takes a minute to get from the front of the train to the station exit at North Western.
I've seen the connection time listed as 12 minutes before now (5 mins being the minimum for each of the stations, plus 2 mins to walk between them).
But yeah, claim (I assume your journey to Wigan NW) was with Virgin?). Worst that can happen is they refuse, you've lost nothing by trying. And your journey was delayed, so you're doing nothing dishonest.

Out of curiosity, how did you take that long to get from NW to Wallgate? That bit of Wigan isn't exactly a delight to spend time in :D

trainophile

Established Member
It’s ironic that our excellent TM was announcing all relevant connections as we approached each station, but of course wouldn’t have thought about Wigan and the walk across.

M60lad

I've got a trip planned upto Lancaster tomorrow morning will the line be back fully running by then?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
A northern 319 was reported to be stranded. Wether it was as a result of if or if it was the cause isn't clear. Internal message states "Northern 1N56 on the down slow has lost power and needs fitters attention or assisting"
"50mph ESR on the up fast for diesel and electric traction but the OLE still needs to be examined" That was at 13:31

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Can't we get the title showing the correct year, before it confuses everybody !

MarkWi72

I was waiting at Brinklow for 4M25 and wondered why it arrived 1hr 25 mins late. I have my answer.

_toommm_

Established Member
A northern 319 was reported to be stranded. Wether it was as a result of if or if it was the cause isn't clear. Internal message states "Northern 1N56 on the down slow has lost power and needs fitters attention or assisting"
"50mph ESR on the up fast for diesel and electric traction but the OLE still needs to be examined" That was at 13:31

It was stuck at Farington Curve Junction - it took nearly three hours to travel between Farington Junction and Farington Curve Junction, a journey timed to take a minute.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Looks like OP's train has made it through the problem area though :) http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P59235/2019/05/24/advanced

I believe the affected line is the down fast. Though the up fast is closed as well, so all services are using the slow lines. Repairs to take place tonight.

Can't we get the title showing the correct year, before it confuses everybody !

13 minutes down at WGN, diverted onto the slow line at Balshaw Lane Joined the queue for PRE at Farrington Junction. Made the connection to the 16:13 at Lancaster to Barrow.

Trains were passing on both Up lines tying in with it only being the Down Fast that was affected.

Thank you for the heads up on the affected train.

Title duly amended.

TBSchenker

It appeared to be the Down Fast OLE through Euxton Jn that was damaged. Because the OLE is headspan on this section of the WCML all lines were shut, presumably until the severity can be established and status of lines found out.

Because the damage was through the junction, it effectively severed the Manchester line from Euxton Jn.

Status
Not open for further replies.