• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Evacuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunfordBridge

This has probably been covered in detail elsewhere before but I was wondering about the differences between a controlled and an uncontrolled evacuation from a train.

I intend to have a good look later but I am going for a two hour jog this afternoon. If anyone could point me in the right direction in the meanwhile, it would be more than appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

muz379

Established Member
In a controlled evacuation the signaler has been informed , blocked any lines that are needed for the evacuation to happen safely and arranged for the electrification if any to be switched off . The environment the evacuation is taking place into is completely protected .

In an uncontrolled or emergency evacuation the evacuation is taking place onto a live railway with all of the risks that entails . For that reason the first job of the traincrew would be to ensure that the line is protected . Be it via the emergency button on the GSM-R or with TCOC's and Dets in the traditional sense .

TheEdge

Established Member
In an uncontrolled or emergency evacuation the evacuation is taking place onto a live railway with all of the risks that entails . For that reason the first job of the traincrew would be to ensure that the line is protected . Be it via the emergency button on the GSM-R or with TCOC's and Dets in the traditional sense .

We could then further differentiate them in that an uncontrolled evacuation is where passengers have taken it upon themselves to leave the train not at a station and not under instruction, whereas an emergency evacuation is an evacuation carried out under traincrew instruction but with only the bare minimum of preparation, basically only trains stopped by use of GSM-R or clips. Obviously for use in cases like a fast burning fire or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.