• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ever had a carriage/whole train to yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trog

Established Member
Was once the sole passenger from Stoke Hammond to Linslade Tunnel once, which was a bit worrying as I had arranged with the driver for him to slow down nearer the station so I could jump off. The train was back up to about 10MPH by the time we emerged from the tunnel and I jumped from the brake van loaded with all my gear into utter darkness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soup6

The last train of the day from Martigny to Le Chatelard in Switzerland is a request train - you have to ring ahead if you wish to travel; no train runs if there are no passengers. If you travel beyond Salvan/Les Marecottes you are more likely than not to be alone on the train.

timbo58

Does it include ECS (empty coaching stock)? then yes, frequently!
Longest journey probably Hereford to Bristol TM via severn tunnel.

There's something very nice about reading every decent paper on the train and then starting own the magazines, getting a good run home with plenty of tea on tap and booking off early!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Does it include ECS (empty coaching stock)? then yes, frequently!
Longest journey probably Hereford to Bristol TM via severn tunnel.

Ha! I was just about to ask the same thing. It's not often I travel on ECS workings, but there's something very pleasurable about having an entire unit to yourself. Early mornings or late at night it's best done with the saloon lights off for a nice relaxing journey - at least until you're nearing your destination when the driver knocks the lights back on and shouts at you down the PA! :lol:

Griff

When I went to Devon shortly before Christmas last year GWR ran an additional 1430 Paddington to Plymouth service and there was hardly anybody in the coach I was in and the rest of the train was very lightly loaded!

And a few weeks back I was the only person in the front coach of the 2212 St Pancras to Margate up to Ashford.

EM2

Established Member
And a few weeks back I was the only person in the front coach of the 2212 St Pancras to Margate up to Ashford.
That's unusual for a Down service, but Up trains in the evenings are often very lightly loaded. Not quite had an empty carriage yet, but there are frequently only three or four people in the carriage when I board the 20:02 or 20:18 from Ebbsfleet to Stratford.

AJM580

Last week while on the Eden Valley Railway, I was the only passenger on the 1500 & 1600 departures. It was all very nice having 205009 all to myself. In fact for the time I was there it seemed as if staff outnumbered punters 5 to 1. It was still good fun though

Established Member
I had the 04:49 Crewe-Milford Haven to myself as far as Wem, then the 05:56 Shrewsbury to Swansea to myself all the way to Llandrindod Wells!

1 and a half hours on your own on a 150 as a passenger is quite surreal! I was unconsious for around half the time as a result!

D6975

Established Member
I had a coach to myself on an Anglo-Scottish TPE service on Sunday, how rare is that!
It started at Preston, was load 8, and the normals all piled into the front set at Preston. From Lancaster I had a whopping 2 people join me for the trip up to Carlisle, and that's only because the entrance at Lancaster is near the back of Northbound trains.

robbeech

Established Member
I'm fairly convinced that the train i got on Sunday night from Retford to Worksop was emtpy when it pulled up at Retford. A couple of dozen of us boarded there but as it arrived i couldn't see anyone on it at all.

I have been the only person in an EMT first class carriage going north from London to Nottingham around lunch time before on more than one occasion.
I think i was the only person on a Bakerloo line train once for a few stops.

Years ago the line between Nottingham and Worksop was less popular in the evenings and i would regularly come home being 1 of only a couple of people or sometimes just me.

Rob

Griff

That's unusual for a Down service, but Up trains in the evenings are often very lightly loaded. Not quite had an empty carriage yet, but there are frequently only three or four people in the carriage when I board the 20:02 or 20:18 from Ebbsfleet to Stratford.

The service which I was on had 12 coaches.

Another occasion when I almost had a whole first class coach to myself was in Spring last year when I joined the 0632 Dundee to Plymouth at Tamworth going to Birmingham and it was just me and two other people in the coach!

Last edited:

AndyPJG

Today on XC 0912 Reading to Didcot (terminating there for rail replacement bus), had whole of 2nd coach to myself. Only 2 other pax on train, so with 3 passengers and 2 staff a coach each.

GarethJohn

I have had a whole 2nd class carriage to myself on Saturday afternoons, while those in first class had to share with each other. My Cafe bought snacks were also far superior to what they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.