• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eversholt Rail award Class 375 contract to LSER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonteacher

I'm just wondering if bright LED lights are now required, possibly for safety reasons or disability? It seems, to my knowledge, that all new stock is brightly lit and maybe when stock is fully refurbished this is also the case?

hwl

Established Member
I'm just wondering if bright LED lights are now required, possibly for safety reasons or disability? It seems, to my knowledge, that all new stock is brightly lit and maybe when stock is fully refurbished this is also the case?
Pretty much spot on.

Bright lighting has a huge impacts on safety perception (and quality of CCTV footage).

dgl

Established Member
It is possible to get LED's in several different wavelengths, (i.e. colours)!
And ones where the colour temperature can be changed, I have an IKEA one like that, great for late at night/evening use as you can have it set to a much warmer white/red which is easier on the eyes.

dgl

Established Member
But... LED lighting good, LED lighting that has any kind of quality behind it is expensive, so no-one buys it.
Unless you live in Dubai, where you supposedly have to buy their special Philips bulbs, ones that have been requested by the sheik to be overengineered for long life and as efficient as possible, as a result having double the components/LED's of regular LED bulbs.

D365

Veteran Member
Does the contract award mean that Southeastern are carrying out the modification works on behalf of Eversholt?

Aictos

Established Member
I'm more interested on what they mean by a bio-reactor toilet system?

Doomotron

Hopefully plug sockets are also added - the USB sockets on trains are usually pretty useless.

CFRAIL

I think this is welcome news... but are USB sockets not old technology now? Replaced by type C etc...

D365

Veteran Member
I think this is welcome news... but are USB sockets not old technology now? Replaced by type C etc...
They haven’t specified whether type A or type C will be used. Type C is going to be difficult to implement, given that the voltage output can vary between 5-20V.

Doomotron

Not really. USB-C is still a very long time from being fully introduced. Even USB 3.0 is barely introduced, with many devices still only having one or two USB 3.0 ports. Only Apple have fully transferred to USB-C (on Macs and iPads, not on iPhones), but that was and still is a very controversial move...

Energy

Established Member
Only Apple have fully transferred to USB-C (on Macs and iPads, not on iPhones)
Most android phones have been USB C for years and the included cable with iPhones now is a USB C to Lightning.
but that was and still is a very controversial move...
Its only controversial because apple only changed the connector to c on the USB a side.

cav1975

Will the budget cover replacement of the harsh cramped 3+2 seating on the 375/9s with decent 2+2 seating? With the reduction in demand making the trains more attractive would seem to be prudent.

AlexNL

Established Member
Hopefully plug sockets are also added - the USB sockets on trains are usually pretty useless.
It might be the case that the electrical installation on the 375s is not capable of supplying 230V to every pair of seats to the train, and so only USB power is provided as the power draw caused by that is much lower. It will be appreciated by many customers though, they have their phones with them already and USB cables weigh almost nothing.

Doomotron

Most android phones have been USB C for years
That's true, but for the most part it's been replacing Micro USB, not USB Type A.
and the included cable with iPhones now is a USB C to Lightning.
Its only controversial because apple only changed the connector to c on the USB a side.
Apple are the only large company to replace USB Type A with Type C fully - just they did it by getting rid of MagSafe and putting Type C at the wrong end of the iPhone's charging cable.
Will the budget cover replacement of the harsh cramped 3+2 seating on the 375/9s with decent 2+2 seating? With the reduction in demand making the trains more attractive would seem to be prudent.
Don't expect anything good to happen, ever.

That said, I'd be happy to just have the third seat removed. The SE seat covers make the seats a lot more comfortable than on Southern, and the legroom in the airline seats is astonishing.
It might be the case that the electrical installation on the 375s is not capable of supplying 230V to every pair of seats to the train, and so only USB power is provided as the power draw caused by that is much lower. It will be appreciated by many customers though, they have their phones with them already and USB cables weigh almost nothing.
I doubt it since the 377s are getting them.

USB ports are unfortunately pretty useless at charging things, compared to the fast chargers available for some phones that can charge them fully in half an hour. A plug socket is a must - particularly for business travellers.

hwl

Established Member
A plug socket is a must .
As an engineer I'd be delighted if they fitted mains sockets, supplying those adapter blocks with both sockets and a plug isn't much use if there is nothing to power it!

Many electric connectors have plug and socket arrangements including USB.

Nym

Established Member
As an engineer I'd be delighted if they fitted mains sockets, supplying those adapter blocks with both sockets and a plug isn't much use if there is nothing to power it!

Many electric connectors have plug and socket arrangements including USB.
I'm sure you'd also like it if they were BS1363 Sockets rather than IEC60309 sockets. Powered with 230V AC 50Hz Mains...?

hwl

Established Member
I'm sure you'd also like it if they were BS1363 Sockets rather than IEC60309 sockets. Powered with 230V AC 50Hz Mains...?
Indeed - I made a similar comment last time!

I have 16A and 32A "blue" plug to BS1363 socket leads but I don't carry them around with me.

Mikey C

Established Member
USB ports are unfortunately pretty useless at charging things, compared to the fast chargers available for some phones that can charge them fully in half an hour. A plug socket is a must - particularly for business travellers.
For the more casual user, it's a lot more convenient to carry around a USB lead than one with a plug as well though

D365

Veteran Member
For the more casual user, it's a lot more convenient to carry around a USB lead than one with a plug as well though
In my experience, most ”built-in” USB-A chargers struggle to deliver 0.5A, let alone 1A! A charger ”plug” or ”power bank” is a must.

hwl

Established Member
In my experience, most ”built-in” USB-A chargers struggle to deliver 0.5A, let alone 1A! A charger ”plug” or ”power bank” is a must.
Indeed, Given typically poor on board train signal strength the phone will be eating quite a bit of power so not that much left to charge up. 2A should be the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.