• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Every 25m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Ok, I'm still a BVE route building trainee, hence I'm not sure on some things, but the good news is that I managed to finally code part of my route, around 0.5km of 15km, not bad eh?

So, my problem is that I wanted it to be accurate, and I measured it accuratley which leaves me with things like curves starting at say 38.5 meters. So I try to put a smooth curve over a BVE straight curve, and it doesn't show up, and someone tells me something about a 25m rule, do I have to tell BVE what happens every 25m and can I still code things inbetween the 25m?

Nick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Idealy, yes. Your code should be like (example):

0,.Sta Example;;;;;;;;;;,
25,.freobj 0,26,
50,.freeobj 1;4,
75,.curve -300,.railtype 0;2,

etc.

Hope this helps, :)

Dennis

Established Member
As far as I am aware, all track related commands (curve, pitch, dike, wall, railtype etc) should be at 25m intervals.

Freeobjects can be placed at any distance although care must be taken that they do not dissapear when they are about to be passed.

The brightness command does not have at be at 25m intervals - handy as most overbridges are not 25m long.

Signals and beacons also do not have to be placed at 25m intervals.

Regarding the example of exactly where curves begin, I would suggest that such a level of accuracy is not really necessary and 'modellers licence' can be used to simplify things rather than get completely bogged down in detail - it takes (me) long enough to code as it is.

The Snap

Established Member
Yes! Exactly right! There you go Nick, a full guide to distances! :D ;)

Nick

Can things (track, curves) be coded at every 5 meters though?

The Snap

Established Member
Er, not sure, doubt it as most track pieces are 25m long. ;)

Dennis

Established Member
Stick with 25m intervals for the running line trackwork. RichardH's comment is quite correct - I have never noticed anyone else using track pieces other than 25m long (or slightly longer to prevent gaps occurring). Trying to use 25m length track pieces at 5m intervals cannot work and you would need to create 5m trackpieces.

It is however possible to model any shape of track you want (the BVE train does not run on the track itself but follows a line defined by the distance and curve - for good examples of complex track objects, look at some of the pointwork on, for example, the Maybank routes)

Contrary to my previous response the curve command does not have to be at 25m intervals (in BVE4 at least), although using intervals of less than 25m would cause difficulties when using curved trackpieces.

I will respectfully suggest that as a new coder, keep things simple. Think about this, a 25km route (which will typically take 30mins to drive depending on line speed, number of stops etc) will have about 1000 lines of code (at one line for every 25m). Each line of code will contain, as a rough average, 3 separate objects or commands with at least two properties assocated with each of these. Thats 6000 parameters to be correctly entered, excluding all the coding associated with each object, just for 30mins driving time. It's no surprise BVE routes take a long time to make!

As an aside, I would estimate my coding speed, including object construction, to be about 10m an hour on average, don't know how this compares to other developers.

The Snap

Established Member
Perhaps this could be stickied? It could be a BVE Help thread, where you can post any question on coding? :idea: :D

Tom B

Established Member
Yes, as Dennis said (if you're new to coding I await your skill when you've got better!) you can only change track types every 25m - it will round up if nescesarry.

I don't have a clue how fast I code, generally I put in tracks, then signals, curves, basic scenery then fine details.

Nick

I think BVE Helpers just fine, and you can brush up with Virtual Rails guide.

Tom B

Established Member
Whilst there's not one central resource it is possible to look at several - VR's coding guide, BVE Helper, Mackoy's pages, TTF's tips thread etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
10m an hour? Not bad. I must say, although it's extremely basic and unrefined, I coded my Swansea Victoria-High Street route within 2 hours (mind you, it's only a 90-second drive atm). Screenshots are available on my Fotopic site.

I daresay it'll be about 5m an hour-90 minutes when I get going again on my new route, due to complexities in the design.

The Snap

Established Member
I can help! I know most of the stuff in BVE coding, but not some of the newer codes, like .fog etc. I hope to learn them soon! How do I help?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Are you on my MSN list? If not, PM me for the address.

I hope to put a proposed route map up on the forum, with some handrawn pictures of what the route would need to look like in places.

The Snap

Established Member
FGWFan said:

I hope to put a proposed route map up on the forum, with some handrawn pictures of what the route would need to look like in places.

Are you asking me that there? :D

Nick

Sorry to bring this backup, but someones said that curves must be 25m, now firstly is this true?

If so, and I have for example at 86 meter curve @ curve of 28 degrees, would I code this as three 25 meter long curves @ 28 degrees?

Also can .Stop boards be placed anywhere?
If again so, should I start my 0 point at the stop maker (say if this is 38m from the buffers) or should I code from the bufferstops?

To make it clear for me, track is made in 25m sections or BVE won't load anymore than 25m of it?

Tom B

Established Member
Nonono, when you set a curve it will continue at the given radius until you tell it otherwise (for a streight, use 0). Thus if you want a curve radius 400 between 25 and 75m with streight after that

25,.curve 400,
75,.curve 0,

as the current curve will carry on until you stop it.

Nick

But the curve must be used within the 25m boundaries (ie. you can't do 36m-89m, must be 25m-100m)?

Guinness

Established Member
Nick said:
But the curve must be used within the 25m boundaries (ie. you can't do 36m-89m, must be 25m-100m)?

I think 36 - 89m is fine as long as its 25, 50 or 75m long etc. Your ok! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
RichardH said:
FGWFan said:

Are you asking me that there? :D

I was indeed.

Tom B

Established Member
Chaz said:
Nick said:

I think 36 - 89m is fine as long as its 25, 50 or 75m long etc. Your ok! :)

No, as I said above you can only change the curve radius at the 25m intervals[/s]. To do 36-89m you'd have to do 50-100m (rounding up).

Nick

Sorry just a quick question, simple ye or nay will do...I'm using the top code atm, but should I use the bottom one, or is that only if I need to change railtype? But if BVE codes in 25m sections, without those bits surely the track wont load :?

Code:
1075,.Curve 150; 0,
1150,.Curve 0; 0,

Code:
1075,.Curve 150; 0,
1150,.Curve 0; 0,

Guinness

Established Member
Nick said:
Sorry just a quick question, simple ye or nay will do...I'm using the top code atm, but should I use the bottom one, or is that only if I need to change railtype? But if BVE codes in 25m sections, without those bits surely the track wont load :?

Code:
1075,.Curve 150; 0,
1150,.Curve 0; 0,

That works perfectly fine. If you want to change the Railtrack to a Smooth curve only do it for the 1075, command then BVE will continue using that Railtype until you tell it to change to a different type.

Dennis

Established Member
blimey - thats a tight curve, might want a bit of cant on that and a 10mph speed restriction!

Nick

Its got a 35kph speed limit and limited clearence, its also on a falling gradient swerving under a thin low brick arch bridge, certainly can't get a train through it, it'd hit the bridge....who said it was a train route anyway :lol:

Dennis

Established Member
Well, what is it? Tram, rollercoaster, bus, canal (on a gradient???!!!).

I once produced a BVE route driving down a milking inflation (the thing that plugs onto a cows udder for milking) using electron microscope images of the inner surface of the inflation. Looked amazing with all the bacteria and dirt build-up but unfortuantely I lost this "route" as I forgot to copy it over to a newer PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.