• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ewell West/East and Epsom

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubby

I have an annual zone 1–6 Travelcard on Oyster, and travel up to London Terminals from Ewell West. It is permitted for me to travel down to Epsom and get the semi-fast train up (which does not stop at Ewell West), or must I stay within the 6 zones? Also, can I break my journey at Epsom?

Further, can I use my ticket to go Ewell West–Epsom–Ewell East?

I'm expecting the answer's no, but I hope I'm wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I take it you meant to write 'Is it permitted...'?

The answer is definitely no to all three questions anyway...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you wish to extend a Travelcard to Epsom, you need to purchase a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 [0072] to Epsom [[stn]EPS[/stn]], this costs £2.80 for an Off Peak Day Return.

If you are caught on a train between either Ewell station & Epsom, or at Epsom station, without a valid ticket, you may be charged a Penalty Fare of £20 if it is treated as an honest mistake.

pubby

Thanks for your answers. My curiosity was piqued when I read on here that a route less than 3 miles longer than the shortest direct route might be permitted. I'd have been annoyed to find that all the extension tickets I keep buying were unnecessary!

Thanks again.

RJ

Established Member
Thanks for your answers. My curiosity was piqued when I read on here that a route less than 3 miles longer than the shortest direct route might be permitted. I'd have been annoyed to find that all the extension tickets I keep buying were unnecessary!

Thanks again.

That's true for point to point tickets. A Travelcard is a zonal ticket so you wouldn't be allowed to use it to travel outside of the London zones, even if you are travelling between two stations within the zones.

The Colonel

Further, can I use my ticket to go Ewell West–Epsom–Ewell East?

I'm expecting the answer's no, but I hope I'm wrong.

I have had someone trying this on this week, wanting to go from Z4 to Sutton via Epson, and refused to sell him the ticket. He knew he was trying it on too.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A ticket that is only valid in selected Zones is quite simply only valid in those Zones. Simple.

A ticket to/from a named station is valid on permitted routes as defined in the NRCoC & Routeing Guide.

So a Ewell East <> Ewell West return ticket is valid via Epsom, because that is the shortest route.

A Zone 1-6 Travelcard is not valid at Epsom as Epsom is outside Zone 6.

I know some Conditions are complex but I think this is simple, but I can certainly believe that some people try it on.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A ticket that is only valid in selected Zones is quite simply only valid in those Zones. Simple.

A rare moment on this forum where this word means exactly what it says on the tin. ;)

clagmonster

Established Member
If you wish to extend a Travelcard to Epsom, you need to purchase a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 [0072] to Epsom [[stn]EPS[/stn]], this costs £2.80 for an Off Peak Day Return.
The OP states that the Travelcard is an annual, so should have a gold recor card, therefore if travel is after 10:00 Gold Card discounted fares apply. Therefore, the fares are:
Return:
Departing before 09:30 £3.40 (full fare SDR)
Departing between 09:30 and 09:59 inclusive £2.80 (full fare CDR)
Departing from 10:00 onwards £1.85 (NGC discounted CDR)

Single:
Departing before 10:00 £2.10 (full fare SDS)
Departing from 10:00 £1.40 (NGC discounted SDS)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, can I break my journey at Epsom?
Yes, you would be finishing the outward Boundary Zone 6-Epsom journey then when you resume would use the return portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.