Ex-Class 314 Hydrogen Conversion video

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigB

Thanks Davie - good to see what happens to it during the week as it's always somewhere new when I'm on site!

GLC

The conversion seems to involve much more than I had realised. I had assumed they would just stick a fuel cell in one of the coaches, wire it up to same cabling the pantograph used, and that would be it! Shows how much I know :D

gingertom

anyone know if this machine going to retain the pantograph and all its gubbins or is it to be hydrogen + storage battery only?

D365

Established Member
The conversion seems to involve much more than I had realised. I had assumed they would just stick a fuel cell in one of the coaches, wire it up to same cabling the pantograph used, and that would be it! Shows how much I know :D
You’d have to bypass the transformer for a start - no way you could get 25kV out of onboard fuel cells!

DAH37403

anyone know if this machine going to retain the pantograph and all its gubbins or is it to be hydrogen + storage battery only?
All of the cables from the pantograph under vehicle have been removed for new equipment to be installed.
The pantograph will remain attached to the vehicle for weight /ride height issues.
If the new kit adds too much weight then the pan will be removed but not for now.

DAH