• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Hydrogen project photos and video

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAH37403

Some updates on the Ex Class 314:

DAH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
Many thanks for the update; great photos there.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

BigB

Thanks Davie - good to see what happens to it during the week as it's always somewhere new when I'm on site!

GLC

The conversion seems to involve much more than I had realised. I had assumed they would just stick a fuel cell in one of the coaches, wire it up to same cabling the pantograph used, and that would be it! Shows how much I know :D

gingertom

Established Member
anyone know if this machine going to retain the pantograph and all its gubbins or is it to be hydrogen + storage battery only?

D365

Veteran Member
The conversion seems to involve much more than I had realised. I had assumed they would just stick a fuel cell in one of the coaches, wire it up to same cabling the pantograph used, and that would be it! Shows how much I know :D
You’d have to bypass the transformer for a start - no way you could get 25kV out of onboard fuel cells!

DAH37403

anyone know if this machine going to retain the pantograph and all its gubbins or is it to be hydrogen + storage battery only?
All of the cables from the pantograph under vehicle have been removed for new equipment to be installed.
The pantograph will remain attached to the vehicle for weight /ride height issues.
If the new kit adds too much weight then the pan will be removed but not for now.

DAH

Logan Carroll

With it being called the class 614 the 314 is now completely extinct. I wish they’d kept another for preservation.

Any idea when the public will be able to see it?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Some updates on the Ex Class 314:

DAH
Excellent collection of pictures and great to see the detail close up which is rarely available when trains are in works or in build. Looks like it wasn't able to do demonstration runs but found this article which gives a lot more technical info. Given Salisbury accident those tanks slung underneath look vulnerable but given they are allowed in cars and buses already they must have plenty of resilience in high energy impacts

scotlands-hydrogen-train

Status
Not open for further replies.