• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
TFW posted on X/Twitter that the following services are units today

05:30 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester

Any reason for such poor availability of the MK4's its becoming very regular again recently.

Lurcheroo

Any reason for such poor availability of the MK4's its becoming very regular again recently.
Just slightly up-thread SD very kindly explained the current situation. We’ve been seeing 4 sets out most days recently with a few days of 3 sets.
Looks like 02 hasn't yet been released. 06 had a data recorder fault so wasn't allowed off the depot, it was scheduled to finish last night for an exam anyway so hopefully it comes back a bit better!

Only 3 diagrams Monday with HD05 being stored at Holyhead only HD01/03 and 07 are available then upto 4 from Tuesday with HD06 back from its exam.

Anonymous10

Established Member

Additionally the last set to Holyhead last Friday was to go for storage temporarily, thus after the block the 05:30 was inevitably going to be a unit.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Still should have yes.
The missing one today was pre-planned with a gap between losing HD05 and getting HD06 back so it shouldn't affect anything
Many thanks. I'm hoping at some point to get a long run on HD01-03. I want the Virgin East Coast memories :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Afraid you picked the wrong day then, down for either HD01 or HD03 Monday, Wednesday and Thursday!!
Ahh, well I'm lucky to get a train with a buffet at all (last time it was a 197 without a trolley), so I won't be too spoilt about it ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Now this, is a beautiful thing. Especially when you’ve been up since 3am, on board since 4:15am, and won’t get to your partner’s until midday.

Absolutely phenomenal breakfast. Even if it did take until Crewe to arrive :lol: Out of my favourite black pudding sadly but I didn’t care. Here:

IMG_2393.jpeg

A video is attached of how glorious the runny yolk was.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.mov
    5.2 MB

LowLevel

Established Member
Now this, is a beautiful thing. Especially when you’ve been up since 3am, on board since 4:15am, and won’t get to your partner’s until midday.

Absolutely phenomenal breakfast. Even if it did take until Crewe to arrive :lol: Out of my favourite black pudding sadly but I didn’t care. Here:

View attachment 156924

I'm sure you've said previously you can't think of anything worse than a stodgy cooked breakfast but that is certainly a thing of beauty :lol:

Lurcheroo

View attachment 156924

Gosh, how come it took until Crewe ? Have they got different sausages? last time they had pork and Leek ones that I wasn’t a huge fan of.
They however, look incredible.

MP393

Gosh, how come it took until Crewe ? Have they got different sausages? last time they had pork and Leek ones that I wasn’t a huge fan of.
They however, look incredible.

The chef for that service is a Shrewsbury based one, so they don’t board until then. So I suppose once they’ve got on, set up etc, it will take a little longer than usual.

There are some based at Newport too, why this one isn’t covered by them is behind my knowledge, but I would imagine it’s to spread the limited number of them to cover all trains

Caaardiff

The chef for that service is a Shrewsbury based one, so they don’t board until then. So I suppose once they’ve got on, set up etc, it will take a little longer than usual.

There are some based at Newport too, why this one isn’t covered by them is behind my knowledge, but I would imagine it’s to spread the limited number of them to cover all trains
I guess there's not many people on it at 0430 from Cardiff, but lots more heading into Manchester from 0630 from Shrewsbury onwards.

Lurcheroo

ahhh, well that makes a lot more sense ! I had assumed they would have boarded in Newport as I they thought they were all either Manchester or Newport based.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

View attachment 156924

Lovely apart from I personally wouldn't take mushrooms. Black pudding is from my wife's home town, but she doesn't like it!

BillStampy

From what I remember HD02 was the spare set at Canton, I'm assuming that it moved onto 1W65 now due to HD01s failure this morning?

Sorry, my sense of logic seemed to have an issue here, the Holyhead diagram was replaced, my fault!

sd0733

Established Member
From what I remember HD02 was the spare set at Canton, I'm assuming that it moved onto 1W65 now due to HD01s failure this morning?

Sorry, my sense of logic seemed to have an issue here, the Holyhead diagram was replaced, my fault!
HD02 hasn't got a loco on it anymore. 67015 returned to DB at Crewe off it today.

Theres now no set at Holyhead, 1 at Canton and 3 at Crewe so the Plan to get it back to normal tomorrow is for HD01 (now with 67014 rather than 008) to swap in at Crewe at 0730 on 1W11, HD07 will then pick up the diagram that normally comes from Holyhead picking up 1W57 at 10:52 from Cardiff

Anonymous10

Established Member
HD02 hasn't got a loco on it anymore. 67015 returned to DB at Crewe off it today.

Theres now no set at Holyhead, 1 at Canton and 3 at Crewe so the Plan to get it back to normal tomorrow is for HD01 (now with 67014 rather than 008) to swap in at Crewe at 0730 on 1W11, HD07 will then pick up the diagram that normally comes from Holyhead picking up 1W57 at 10:52 from Cardiff
Is the 1630 ex Manchester still planned a mk4 ?