• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

krus_aragon

Established Member
No problem. If you click on any of the links and then click on “show train information near the top of the page” you can see what it has been pathed as, which is a rough guide!
I'd usually have looked for (and paid attention to) that when browsing RTT in detailed mode, but I'd followed the links on a cellphone, which doesn't show that information by default in its compact view. :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
I wonder if the first ex-GC set will be put into service soon, and whether this is one of the original sets going down for mods? Hopefully this will be the case as they really are racing through mods now.
That's HD07, the ex-GC set which has been at Crewe for months.

sd0733

Established Member
I wonder if the first ex-GC set will be put into service soon, and whether this is one of the original sets going down for mods? Hopefully this will be the case as they really are racing through mods now.
The plan is that a Grand Central set, presumably the one that arrived at Crewe last night will have the TOD (123xx vehicle) removed and be added to the pool of sets available for traffic. The should happen from the new timetable on 16th May. I believe though that the GC set will be the back up and normally be a training rake.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
The plan is that a Grand Central set, presumably the one that arrived at Crewe last night will have the TOD (123xx vehicle) removed and be added to the pool of sets available for traffic. The should happen from the new timetable on 16th May. I believe though that the GC set will be the back up and normally be a training rake.
What happened to the set that arrived at Crewe back in February I think? I would have logically thought that would be the one into service first but maybe this is not the case. Or maybe I am just mis-understanding the fact that this is the one going back down?

sd0733

Established Member
What happened to the set that arrived at Crewe back in February I think? I would have logically thought that would be the one into service first but maybe this is not the case. Or maybe I am just mis-understanding the fact that this is the one going back down?
Yes that's correct thats the set gone back. It was only at Crewe for storage due to lack of space at Eastleigh and has numerous faults that need fixing.

That's HD07, the ex-GC set which has been at Crewe for months.
Is HD07 the former GC04 (on the assumption that GC01 to GC04 have become HD04 to HD07), or is there a more complicated match up?

Thanks

On Moderation
Is HD07 the former GC04 (on the assumption that GC01 to GC04 have become HD04 to HD07), or is there a more complicated match up?

Thanks
WB01-04 (they were never GC01-04 on the system AFAIAA) have become HD04-07 in that order. Formations are unchanged.

sd0733

Established Member

Thanks
To be truthful I couldn't tell you, just know that ones known as HD07 as a tfw set. Sounds likely that that is the way it's being done though.

craigybagel

Established Member
What will the journey time difference be when these are introduced on the Cardiff - Manchester route?
Until we see the new timetable, it's impossible to say. But any changes in journey time over now are more likely to come from changes in the stopping pattern rather than rolling stock

Clouds

craigybagel

Established Member
The 197s certainly have the ability to reduce times over the current fleet. Even on the most economic transmission setting they'll comfortably out accelerate anything in the existing fleet, and that's before you take into account the much improved dwell times that the door layout will provide.

With the 67s and MKIVs it gets more complicated. Their acceleration at low speed is relatively poor, but once they get into their stride they take off. They'll also out climb any DMU, and the Marches line is notoriously hilly. The door layout is not very good for short dwell times however. Also as it stands there are sections of the route where they will have a lower top speed (ironically there's also one section where they'll have a higher top speed, but it's not likely to make as much of an impact on timings).

There may or may not be space to cut a few minutes here and there from the schedule, and on routes with more frequent stops and most if not all services being worked by 197s hopefully we'll see that. With the Manchester Cardiff services likely to alternate between 67/MKIV and 197s each hour and the need to make a timetable both fleets can match, I think it's more likely that a reduction in stops will make a much bigger impact on journey times.

But like I said, until we see the timetable it's hard to say for definite.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Can I ask how many guards are meant to be on the MK4s? On at least 2 journeys now, I have had 2 guards with 1 often just sitting at the back and the other controlling the doors from the 2nd door from the rear. Is there meant to be 2 guards or just how it's happened? If so, why more guards than normal.

Neptune

Established Member
Can I ask how many guards are meant to be on the MK4s? On at least 2 journeys now, I have had 2 guards with 1 often just sitting at the back and the other controlling the doors from the 2nd door from the rear. Is there meant to be 2 guards or just how it's happened? If so, why more guards than normal.
1 guard working it and 1 guard travelling pass?

Neptune

Established Member
I'd have agreed with that but the 1 who could be classed as a travelling passenger always gets up and does the rear most door.
At east side Northern we have Assist rather than pass on routes/traction signed so maybe assisting in some way? Or maybe traction or route refreshing?

warwickshire

On Moderation
At east side Northern we have Assist rather than pass on routes/traction signed so maybe assisting in some way? Or maybe traction or route refreshing?
Or maybe a ride out with the Guards manager or even with a minder Guard maybe a trainee train manager even out and about learning the role?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I believe it is one overall guard, and one other member of staff (not entirely sure on job role). The 2nd staff member is for locking out the doors at the rear of the train on short platforms until the carriages get fitted with SDO.