• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex-LNER Mk4 sets for Grand Central (Blackpool - Euston)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed43125

The disabled door sticker barely stands out, fitting in quite well with the rest of the livery IMO. The bicycle access sticker is a bit more prominent, at first I thought it was a nameplate!
I concur, had to rewatch to see what exactly the issue was, it's overall a good livery, we should be glad to see it at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

I’ve always thought that the Grand Central moniker is a bit GCSE project, and the logo Microsoft ClipArt.

However, far more so than the HST and Adelante applications, this 90+MkIV treatment does look rather good to me; linear and businesslike.

The latter may be a rather good position to take from a yield point of view.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I’ve always thought that the Grand Central moniker is a bit GCSE project, and the logo Microsoft ClipArt.
I know what you mean. I think someone has looked at historical liveries and tried to mirror them in a modern way... or something.
The result of this is that it always looked a bit old-timey on a 180 but was still poorly suited to an HST.
The Mk4, being somewhere in between, suits it perfectly.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
For accessibility purposes I'd like to see a return to standards- obviously yellow stripe for 1st and red for catering, I'd add (as in GA now) blue for wheelchair accessible and green for cycle accommodation- with the requirement that these stand out, and damn the branding. Consistency helps.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Because providing that information is more important than a perfect livery?
Maybe this might surprise you, but these things are pretty important.
I 100% agree that providing this information is important and I’m all up for providing a method of showing bikes and disabled doors. I just find it hard to believe that this strip is somehow more understood by those looking for them than just a single symbol of a bike or by putting a blue line above the door etc.
I just think in my personal opinion that the northern strips look tacky and ruin the simplicity of the the livery. (although not as tacky placement as pacers)

I had to work yesterday so couldn’t get out to see these... from the photos etc they look fabulous....
Presumably there will be other moves in the coming weeks? Not sure when the next sets will be ready?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
regarding the foprmation in the video- is there a requirement that any locos being dragged in a move like this (the second one looks to be being towed) are immediately behind the powered locos?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I 100% agree that providing this information is important and I’m all up for providing a method of showing bikes and disabled doors. I just find it hard to believe that this strip is somehow more understood by those looking for them than just a single symbol of a bike or by putting a blue line above the door etc.
I just think in my personal opinion that the northern strips look tacky and ruin the simplicity of the the livery. (although not as tacky placement as pacers)

It's eyecatching and you can easily see it from a distance. The other option that works is a full-bodyside-height pictogram but that would surely ruin the livery more.

sprinterguy

Established Member
regarding the foprmation in the video- is there a requirement that any locos being dragged in a move like this (the second one looks to be being towed) are immediately behind the powered locos?
I don't believe so: The formation was remarshalled during the journey so that the 'dead' loco was on the rear of the train.

On Moderation
The two sets released from Alstom this week (the former BN20/21, then HT05/06) have been renumbered as WB02/03. Presumably BN19/HT04 will become WB01 and BN22/HT07 will be WB04 then they are released.

43 302

Established Member
Yep!

Somewhat more relevant than the HT (Heaton) code used before.
WB was the prefix for the Pretendolino sets, was it used before then as well? In the Virgin days i recall the sets had a VT prefix.

On Moderation
WB was the prefix for the Pretendolino sets, was it used before then as well? In the Virgin days i recall the sets had a VT prefix.
It was used as the prefix for Wembley depot allocated set numbers right from the start of fixed formations on the West Coast at the start of the 1990s, in the same way that MA (Longsight), OY (Oxley) and PC (Polmadie) were on the West Coast and the likes of BN, NL, EC etc were elsewhere.

43 302

Established Member
It was used as the prefix for Wembley depot allocated set numbers right from the start of fixed formations on the West Coast at the start of the 1990s, in the same way that MA (Longsight), OY (Oxley) and PC (Polmadie) were on the West Coast and the likes of BN, NL, EC etc were elsewhere.
Thanks. Apparently the sets are to become GC01-04. They are labelled as such in the grand Central drivers traction manual. Not sure why they would bother with WB then.

43 302

Established Member
Here are some screenshots from the GC drivers traction manual. Interesting that some of the class 90s also have drop-head buckeye couplers. I wonder which ones?FB_IMG_1593284256117.jpgFB_IMG_1593284259308.jpg

popeter45

Here are some screenshots from the GC drivers traction manual. Interesting that some of the class 90s also have drop-head buckeye couplers. I wonder which ones?

weird they refer First class as Pullman, indication of what they plan to offer in first class?
also referring to the RSB as SV indicating so passenger seating could point to a full seated restaurant?

On Moderation
weird they refer First class as Pullman, indication of what they plan to offer in first class?
also referring to the RSB as SV indicating so passenger seating could point to a full seated restaurant?
The Pullman and SV designations are those that BR used; I don't think it implies any change of use from LNER.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Grand Central's website says Spring 2020, (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, surely the services would have to start it May or December?) but that seems a little unlikely what with the current services.

py_megapixel

Established Member
One thing I hadn't noticed until I looked at the Grand Central website was just how much space seems to be allocated to luggage racks. That will be very useful given that a lot of Blackpool passengers are going to be leisure travellers with lots of bags and it's a pain when the aisles get blocked with them.

Though... why are the coaches lettered BCEFG? Surely ABCDE would make more sense given that this formation is the only one that GC will operate.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Grand Central's website says Spring 2020, (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, surely the services would have to start it May or December?) but that seems a little unlikely what with the current services.
They’ve announced May 2021, it’s been widely reported and quoted in other threads, but for some reason haven’t fixed their own website...

It’s their 03 Apr 2020 press release that includes the “Spring 2021” delay to Blackpool’s service.

On Moderation
One thing I hadn't noticed until I looked at the Grand Central website was just how much space seems to be allocated to luggage racks. That will be very useful given that a lot of Blackpool passengers are going to be leisure travellers with lots of bags and it's a pain when the aisles get blocked with them.
The plan is not to scale! I think the LNER plans showed similarly, so assume they’ve just copied them across.

Status
Not open for further replies.