• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EX. London Midland Class 321 TSO disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I know there will be a simple explanation but why didn't we just send four car units to give the Scots a bit more elbow room? Platform length? Not power supplies one assumes. Consistent fleet?
The routes the 318s and 320s work over are set up for 3 or 6 car operation, with a 6-car maximum.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
with a 6-car maximum

So it is to allow six by using two sets rather than restrict to three. Presumably this is things like stop signs, signal placement and so on.

Thanks, though it seems odd on a railway where there are a lot of capacity issues.

On Moderation
So it is to allow six by using two sets rather than restrict to three. Presumably this is things like stop signs, signal placement and so on.

Thanks, though it seems odd on a railway where there are a lot of capacity issues.
Platform lengths more than anything else, I believe.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
On the side of that one it says "Mobile Storage Container". Is that just a kind way of saying its being used as a skip? :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
So... basically it is now an internal user then?

Do they still issue internal user numbers for such purposes, or do they just turn a blond eye and leave things how they are?

978wta

Thanks, the reason I ask is that the rumours surrounding Northerns 150 3 Car conversions could see them looking like the 150 prototype with a non driving centre car. These redundant 321 centre cars could provide body sections if the 150/2 cabs were removed.

Wivenswold

Established Member
No way that one will be returned to traffic. It'd make a nice green house, literally.

brel york

The logistics of modifying one of these to go in between a 150 are massive , how would the unit perform with an unpowered car in it ?

978wta

brel york, I think my post may have been misunderstood. I read somewhere online that the northern 3 Car formations could be a hybrid forming of a 150/2 in between a set of 150/1 or the centre Car could be non driving which means the removal of the cab. This is where the redundant 321 cars would play a part in providing end body sections.

D365

Veteran Member
brel york, I think my post may have been misunderstood. I read somewhere online that the northern 3 Car formations could be a hybrid forming of a 150/2 in between a set of 150/1 or the centre Car could be non driving which means the removal of the cab. This is where the redundant 321 cars would play a part in providing end body sections.

Something akin to the post-Oxshott rebuild of a Class 210 DMS coach as a replacement MSO in 455913?

https://www.railengineer.uk/2013/05/10/reshelling-a-455/

brel york

That in itself was a big job but the ats car couldn’t take an engine, not without major strengthening underneath and the body ends are different

Domh245

Established Member
I think that @978wta thinks that it is something of an anti-oxshott, whereby the cabs of the 150/2s will be removed entirely and then replaced by the end of one of those ex 321 ATSs. As far as I'm aware, the middle cars of the hybrid units will be keeping their cabs - the lost capacity isn't that massive, and the cost to remove and replace them would be vastly more than would be considered reasonable. It wouldn't be as simple as removing the cab and replacing it, there is plenty of equipment housed in that cab wall and around that area that you would then need to rehouse - all to provide a few additional seats?

Failed Unit

Established Member
To be honest keeping the cab gives flexibility. When central trains did the 150/2 split to make 3 Car sets you did get the occasional 150/1 at one end 150/2 at the other to keep a 2 Car set in service.

The next statement is scary. These trains are 30 years old! Cant see much more getting spent on them.

brel york

The 150-1 are 33 this year,the work involved in removing the cab far outways any seating benefit, angel won’t stump up for the engineering involved in making a 52 car out of a 57 , the design and drawing work , they never got as far as discussing the parts and Labour

Status
Not open for further replies.