ex northern EMT 156's

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Yew, 31 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yew

Yew Established Member

Hey all, Just letting you know that I'm on a northern 156 that has hastily had the northern branding scrubbed out, and east midlands trains written on it. It seems quieter than the emt 156's. However the Richmond seating seems to have less legroom than emt's chapmans, and the interior is shabbier. I'm guessing emt will stick them on the end of their super sprinter refurbishment?

Yew
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    For all you number collectors out there, it's 156498

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It' been reported EMT saved the seats off the Alphaline 158s that they refurbed and will be refitting the seats from those to their 'new' 156s.

And yes those seats don't have that much leg room. If I travel on one of those and it's not too busy I try to get a table seat.

4. Yew

Yew Established Member

A quick google suggests that they are chapmans? I was hoping for a second they might use the northern 158 seats

I suppose it's the first time a northern 158 has been to Worksop station for a long time though :)

5. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Yes they are the seats off the ex-Wessex Trains sets. I don't know if the nicer seating off the old CT and TPE sets that EMT refurbished have been retained. I think these seats were more worn when they were removed even if they were nicer originally.

6. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

Have all 4 156 units ariived for EMT?, If not are they ex FNW or all ex ATN units?, If they are all ATN I think that they should all operate on Nottingham to Skegness services

7. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

They will all be ex-ATN units. I think only 2 have arrived. Northern did the first stage of a 2 part refurbishment on the ex-FNW 156s just before it was decided that EMT should get 4 of Northern's 156s which is why the ex-ATN ones are being transferred.

The 156s will replace 4x158s on Skegness services to allow 4 extra 158s to be used on Liverpool-Norwich. However, which 156s will run on the Skegness services is down to EMT.

8. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

Will the ATN 156 units operate on other local routes such as Nottingham to Matlock apart from Nottingham to Skegness and Leicester to Lincoln routes sometimes?

9. Yew

Yew Established Member

Im guessing once they have been refurbed, they will be indistinguishable from normal units. and I imagine until then the same will apply (they might have more seats, they seemed like it, so they might be biased to some routes that often end up standing

10. Kneedown

Kneedown Established Member

They'll operate all routes that EMT 156's currently work as they are interchangable. After they've been refurbished and made GSMR ready the only noticeable difference will be in the cab which has a Q-Tron OTMR as opposed to the Arrowvale units fitted to the current EMT fleet.
    Had first go on one today. Can't say i'm impressed.

11. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Aren't those going into the ex-Wales & Borders 153s?

As I understand it, during the refurbishment process the trains with Richmond seating will retain it. I think the first refurbished 153 was an ex-ATN unit with Richmond seating.

12. WillPS

WillPS Established Member

You are correct. There were, I believe 3x Alphaline 158s, and 5x Wessex 153s - and the 153s are laid out a little more intensively than the 158s were, so there's only an odd number of seats remaining which will become spares.

13. eastmidschris

eastmidschris Member

There are 4 ex-Alphaline 158s (158863-866) and 4 ex-Wales & West 153s (153302,308,355,374) that had 158 seats and 2 ex-Arriva Trains Northern 153s (153319,357) that have Richmond seats.
    All of the ex WW units and 1 of the ex ATN are/have receiving chapman seats. That means there wouldn't be enough for the 156s.

14. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Won't ATW have loads of spares from their 158 refurbishment?

15. WillPS

WillPS Established Member

Aren't they going in their 153 fleet? Or were they already Chapman fitted?

16. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Some have gone into ATW's 153 fleet, however seating doesnt seem to be much better than before they were refurbished.

17. TheBigD

TheBigD Member

Now that EMT have a couple of the ex Northern 156's have they started to strengthen more of the Liverpool-Nottingham-Norwich services yet?

Cheers!

18. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

The have had two for about 10 days, expecting a bit much?!

19. trentside

I'd expect that it's dependant on the Sprinter refurbishment - with some 153s and 156s out of traffic, they'll need the extra units to cover for them.

20. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

I expect the 158 are still used on the Matlock to Nottingham services, I bet the 153 units will be the first be finishing the refurbishment

21. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

The 15:52 Liverpool to Norwich has been reported as running as 4 car in the past week, it's been only 2 car up until now and usually delayed by overcrowding.

22. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

Has the ex Northern 156's units got running now?,

If yes, what route have they been running on and aprt from Nottingham to Skegness and Lincoln to Leicester?

23. trentside

I'm not sure whether all the ex-Northern 156s are in service with EMT yet, but I have a feeling they are. They will run on any 156 diagram, so will be working over the majority of EMTs local network.

24. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

2 of them have been in service with EMT for almost a month now. Numerous people have commented on EMT's notices apologising for the poor internal state of the units and saying that they will be refurbished soon.

25. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.