• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ex northern EMT 156's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Hey all, Just letting you know that I'm on a northern 156 that has hastily had the northern branding scrubbed out, and east midlands trains written on it. It seems quieter than the emt 156's. However the Richmond seating seems to have less legroom than emt's chapmans, and the interior is shabbier. I'm guessing emt will stick them on the end of their super sprinter refurbishment?

Yew
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For all you number collectors out there, it's 156498

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
It' been reported EMT saved the seats off the Alphaline 158s that they refurbed and will be refitting the seats from those to their 'new' 156s.

And yes those seats don't have that much leg room. If I travel on one of those and it's not too busy I try to get a table seat.

Yew

Established Member
A quick google suggests that they are chapmans? I was hoping for a second they might use the northern 158 seats

I suppose it's the first time a northern 158 has been to Worksop station for a long time though :)

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes they are the seats off the ex-Wessex Trains sets. I don't know if the nicer seating off the old CT and TPE sets that EMT refurbished have been retained. I think these seats were more worn when they were removed even if they were nicer originally.

Have all 4 156 units ariived for EMT?, If not are they ex FNW or all ex ATN units?, If they are all ATN I think that they should all operate on Nottingham to Skegness services

pemma

Veteran Member
Have all 4 156 units ariived for EMT?, If not are they ex FNW or all ex ATN units?, If they are all ATN I think that they should all operate on Nottingham to Skegness services

They will all be ex-ATN units. I think only 2 have arrived. Northern did the first stage of a 2 part refurbishment on the ex-FNW 156s just before it was decided that EMT should get 4 of Northern's 156s which is why the ex-ATN ones are being transferred.

The 156s will replace 4x158s on Skegness services to allow 4 extra 158s to be used on Liverpool-Norwich. However, which 156s will run on the Skegness services is down to EMT.

They will all be ex-ATN units. I think only 2 have arrived. Northern did the first stage of a 2 part refurbishment on the ex-FNW 156s just before it was decided that EMT should get 4 of Northern's 156s which is why the ex-ATN ones are being transferred.

The 156s will replace 4x158s on Skegness services to allow 4 extra 158s to be used on Liverpool-Norwich. However, which 156s will run on the Skegness services is down to EMT.

Will the ATN 156 units operate on other local routes such as Nottingham to Matlock apart from Nottingham to Skegness and Leicester to Lincoln routes sometimes?

Yew

Established Member
Im guessing once they have been refurbed, they will be indistinguishable from normal units. and I imagine until then the same will apply (they might have more seats, they seemed like it, so they might be biased to some routes that often end up standing

Kneedown

Established Member
Will the ATN 156 units operate on other local routes such as Nottingham to Matlock apart from Nottingham to Skegness and Leicester to Lincoln routes sometimes?

They'll operate all routes that EMT 156's currently work as they are interchangable. After they've been refurbished and made GSMR ready the only noticeable difference will be in the cab which has a Q-Tron OTMR as opposed to the Arrowvale units fitted to the current EMT fleet.
Had first go on one today. Can't say i'm impressed.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It' been reported EMT saved the seats off the Alphaline 158s that they refurbed and will be refitting the seats from those to their 'new' 156s.

Aren't those going into the ex-Wales & Borders 153s?

As I understand it, during the refurbishment process the trains with Richmond seating will retain it. I think the first refurbished 153 was an ex-ATN unit with Richmond seating.

WillPS

Established Member
Aren't those going into the ex-Wales & Borders 153s?

As I understand it, during the refurbishment process the trains with Richmond seating will retain it. I think the first refurbished 153 was an ex-ATN unit with Richmond seating.

You are correct. There were, I believe 3x Alphaline 158s, and 5x Wessex 153s - and the 153s are laid out a little more intensively than the 158s were, so there's only an odd number of seats remaining which will become spares.

eastmidschris

You are correct. There were, I believe 3x Alphaline 158s, and 5x Wessex 153s - and the 153s are laid out a little more intensively than the 158s were, so there's only an odd number of seats remaining which will become spares.

There are 4 ex-Alphaline 158s (158863-866) and 4 ex-Wales & West 153s (153302,308,355,374) that had 158 seats and 2 ex-Arriva Trains Northern 153s (153319,357) that have Richmond seats.
All of the ex WW units and 1 of the ex ATN are/have receiving chapman seats. That means there wouldn't be enough for the 156s.

TheBigD

Established Member
Now that EMT have a couple of the ex Northern 156's have they started to strengthen more of the Liverpool-Nottingham-Norwich services yet?

Cheers!

MCR247

Established Member
The have had two for about 10 days, expecting a bit much?!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Now that EMT have a couple of the ex Northern 156's have they started to strengthen more of the Liverpool-Nottingham-Norwich services yet?

I'd expect that it's dependant on the Sprinter refurbishment - with some 153s and 156s out of traffic, they'll need the extra units to cover for them.

I'd expect that it's dependant on the Sprinter refurbishment - with some 153s and 156s out of traffic, they'll need the extra units to cover for them.

I expect the 158 are still used on the Matlock to Nottingham services, I bet the 153 units will be the first be finishing the refurbishment

pemma

Veteran Member
The 15:52 Liverpool to Norwich has been reported as running as 4 car in the past week, it's been only 2 car up until now and usually delayed by overcrowding.

Has the ex Northern 156's units got running now?,

If yes, what route have they been running on and aprt from Nottingham to Skegness and Lincoln to Leicester?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor

If yes, what route have they been running on and aprt from Nottingham to Skegness and Lincoln to Leicester?

I'm not sure whether all the ex-Northern 156s are in service with EMT yet, but I have a feeling they are. They will run on any 156 diagram, so will be working over the majority of EMTs local network.

pemma

Veteran Member

2 of them have been in service with EMT for almost a month now. Numerous people have commented on EMT's notices apologising for the poor internal state of the units and saying that they will be refurbished soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.