• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exam results: Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Best of luck to all of you who are receiving A2/As level results later today!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Very much so, I did better than expected and got into my firm university choice.

meridian2

Good luck to everyone and well done for those who succeeded in reaching their first choice of university.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If your results go badly don't worry. Look at your options and don't panic becuase guess how often anyone looks at your A level results after today? That's right, never.

Consider your options and do what is right for you. If you can pass A Levels you can pass a degree course and after that no one will care, for the vast majority of jobs, where you went to university or what degree you got.

theblackwatch

Established Member
But equally, don't feel that university is essential, there are plenty of people who are getting along successfully without having gone there (and I include some in their early 20s).

ExRes

Established Member
And there's always Clearing...

Interesting that you should mention clearing, the annual supplement was in my Telegraph this morning and, allowing for my increasing senility and addled brain, I'm absolutely sure that it was nowhere near as thick as in previous years

backontrack

Established Member
Interesting that you should mention clearing, the annual supplement was in my Telegraph this morning and, allowing for my increasing senility and addled brain, I'm absolutely sure that it was nowhere near as thick as in previous years

Apologies - is that 'thick' in terms of how large it is or how stupid it is? Or rather, isn't?

ExRes

Established Member
Apologies - is that 'thick' in terms of how large it is or how stupid it is? Or rather, isn't?

:lol:

I did mean the thickness of the supplement itself actually, but I must admit when I've looked through it in the past I have been rather astounded at the titles of some of the courses .........

backontrack

Established Member
:lol:

I did mean the thickness of the supplement itself actually, but I must admit when I've looked through it in the past I have been rather astounded at the titles of some of the courses .........

Let me guess - Underwater Basket-Weaving at the University of Surbiton? :lol:

For anyone who could be doing Clearing - or for helpful university info - then the Guardian has a good guide.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/universityguide

chris11256

As someone that works in a school I wish everyone the best of luck.

We're very pleased as we've had our best A level results ever. 71 of our year 13s received 3 A*s and 41 received 4 A*s. The remaining 80 were a mixture of A-B.

Although as others have said, not going to university ins't the end of the world. You can have an extremely successful career going down other routes.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't mock the course that I'm doing <(

Just kidding, I'm actually doing expressive dance and Djibouti studies at Bolton Polytechnic.

NO :o

I did Bolton studies at Djibouti Polytechnic when I were a lad .......

Thank you guys for two of the funniest posts I have possibly ever read on the forum :lol::lol::lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I hope all of you going to university enjoyed your A-level exams, after one round of university ones you'll be pining for them ;)

Harbornite

Established Member
I hope all of you going to university enjoyed your A-level exams, after one round of university ones you'll be pining for them ;)

Ooh aye t'were great. Many fond memories like crying myself to sleep, past papers, deadlines, more past papers. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank you guys for two of the funniest posts I have possibly ever read on the forum :lol::lol::lol:

My pleasure!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well done all you chaps (and chappesses)

Exactly twenty years since my own A-level results. (think I came out as well, not that anyone remembered :( )

Lankyline

When I did my A levels back in the days when exams were proper exams, :lol: I have a story that probably would never happen today, part of the Geography A level course work we had (set by the JMB) was to do with American agriculture, worth I think about 20-25% of the overall marks and this was for all schools sitting JMB papers, we learnt this for 6 months, when the exam paper came out, the questions in this section were on Russian agriculture !!!

Every school protested to the board, the national pass rate collapsed to 40%, when it had previously averaged 75% +, the response was tough, no apologies, no resits because everyone will know what the answers to the rest of the exam paper were !! So if you failed you should of tried harder !

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I have a story that probably would never happen today, part of the Geography A level course work we had (set by the JMB) was to do with American agriculture, worth I think about 20-25% of the overall marks and this was for all schools sitting JMB papers, we learnt this for 6 months, when the exam paper came out, the questions in this section were on Russian agriculture !!!

Every school protested to the board, the national pass rate collapsed to 40%, when it had previously averaged 75% +, the response was tough, no apologies, no resits because everyone will know what the answers to the rest of the exam paper were !! So if you failed you should of tried harder !
Still happens today. One of my ex boyfriend's took General Studies (mandatory at his sixth form) and they spent months learning about nuclear power, the National Grid, etc... only for the exam paper to feature something completely irrelevant!

Harbornite

Established Member
Both cases have my sympathy! I got mugged off in business when the exam board threw in a question about Frederick Taylor, whom I wasn't aware of and we hadn't been taught about. I had to make up an economic theory on the spot!

skyhigh

Established Member
Both cases have my sympathy! I got mugged off in business when the exam board threw in a question about Frederick Taylor, whom I wasn't aware of and we hadn't been taught about. I had to make up an economic theory on the spot!

I can relate to that - I did English at A-Level and was taught the wrong poetry compilation for the exam. I only found out when I sat down in the exam hall and looked at what was in front of me! Thankfully we were given an unmarked copy of the text so I could at least make up some rubbish to answer the questions. I did surprisingly well... :lol:

Harbornite

Established Member
I can relate to that - I did English at A-Level and was taught the wrong poetry compilation for the exam. I only found out when I sat down in the exam hall and looked at what was in front of me! Thankfully we were given an unmarked copy of the text so I could at least make up some rubbish to answer the questions. I did surprisingly well... :lol:

I hope you slapped your English teacher after the exam. How do teachers expect us to do well if they can't get the right bloody syllabus!

backontrack

Established Member

And yet you neglect to mention the Underwater Basket-Weaving... *sigh*

The marine weaving community has faced considerable slurs since the University College Surbiton degree course's inception. Well, it's fair to say that we're not rattled. It will take more than derision and looks of askance to put our noses out of joint. Underwater Basket-Weaving is an honourable profession and a worthy craft, and it's one with a lengthy and well-catalogued history.

It all began in the 1790s when a young Dr Harold Ostwick-Undermanager of Bromsgrove harboured a fascination with tropical fish. Luckily he was well-placed to observe them, and soon took to swimming with them (his enjoyment of which blossomed when he became the proud owner of a snorkel). Dr Harold's other passion was for basket-weaving, and he soon started to combine the two (with evident effect). It was not until the 1810s, however, that this became a popular pastime, when, under the auspicious rule of King George III (a notable fan of the craft), Dr Harold announced that a course would be created dedicated to underwater basket-weaving at UC Surbiton (of which Dr Harold was an alumnus. Many other institutions followed suit). A craze for underwater basket-weaving soon followed, with 15-year-olds wandering around town centres with their eyes glued to their weaving as they practised. The aims of these teens were to spot as many imaginary baskets as they could (an unfortunate effect that so-called 'ultras' were prone to as they wove in salt water).

Dr Harold's efforts have not been forgotten, and it has recently been revealed that the course at UC Surbiton (and also at St Andrews, of all places) are still a feature of university life to this day.

So, next time you hear of the Underwater Basket-Weavers, pray do not mock us, for we are the proud owners of an honourable profession of the highest order. A profession that Dr Harold and his contemporaries would have been proud of today.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best of luck to anyone receiving GCSE results today! :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
Indeed, I hope the GCSE results went well :)

And if they didn't go as well, don't panic, it isn't the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.