• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Examples of UK rail services run for the benefit of tourists (such as Dales Rail)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Occurred to me while reading the thread on DalesRail fares - this is a very unusual example of a (very long running) service that is in practice a tourist day-tripping charter, but is actually a franchise commitment for the TOC.

Are there any other examples of this sort of service? Only one I can think of is Okehampton, obviously soon to be a regular service, plus the winter version of DalesRail, the Lancashire Rambler, which only goes to Hellifield and carries a lot of fresh air?

I specifically mean infrequent tourist-aimed services that are run as a franchise commitment by a franchised TOC, not charters, nor "useless" Parliamentaries - specifically trains intended for that sort of use-case.

(DalesRail sort of is a Parly because it's the only passenger service between Clitheroe and Hellifield, but that isn't the primary reason why it exists, if you see what I mean - and if it was it'd just be one randomly-timed Clitheroe-Manchester extended back to/from Hellifield, no doubt)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
The EMR York service? And previously Skegness HST’s? A few summer services may qualify.

I suppose you could say the EMR Leeds-London services too. They facilitate a cheap day out from Leeds if you’re not fussy about journey time.

Last edited:

Carlisle

Established Member
The London - Newquay summer services are perhaps slightly similar

Tazi Hupefi

The EMR York service? And previously Skegness HST’s? A few summer services may qualify.

I suppose you could say the EMR Leeds-London services too. They facilitate a cheap day out from Leeds if you’re not fussy about journey time.

I got it to Scarborough once! Hardly anyone on it! Think it was a weekend too!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
For many years (until 2008) North West Regional Railways / First North Western ran a daily summer Oldham/Rochdale - Atherton - Blackpool return trip.

cuccir

Established Member
Do CrossCountry still do their summer services to Torbay - calling at Dawlish, Newton Abbott, Torquay and Paignton I think?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Pre Covid ScotRail ran the summer Sundays day trip from Edinburgh to Oban service.

(Actually has that run since the E&G electrification? )

HST43257

Established Member
The EMR York service?
I’d say Scarborough more, since that’s summer only

Pre Covid ScotRail ran the summer Sundays day trip from Edinburgh to Oban service.

(Actually has that run since the E&G electrification? )
Pretty sure the path was in last year. Not sure if it ran due to covid but pretty sure it ran the year before

Iskra

Established Member

Pretty sure the path was in last year. Not sure if it ran due to covid but pretty sure it ran the year before
The Scarborough service has ended now, which is why I just said York :)

D6975

Established Member
Do CrossCountry still do their summer services to Torbay - calling at Dawlish, Newton Abbott, Torquay and Paignton I think?
XC run daily to Torbay. All year round.

ps It was intended to stop these in order to facilitate the Devon metro improvement, but who knows what will happen now?

David Goddard

Established Member
XC run daily to Torbay. All year round.
Indeed they do, mainly with Manchester trains, but there have been a couple of extras on Summer Saturdays for the North East route
Taking the Summer 2020 timetable, these alterations applied from 23 May to 12 September
0611 Leeds to Plymouth diverted to Paignton
0600 Glasgow Central to Plymouth diverted to Paignton
1227 Plymouth to Glasgow Central commenced from Paignton at 1240
1627 Plymouth to Leeds commenced from Paignton at 1640

I would then add to this discussion that Greater Anglia and its predecessors have long operated additional services between Norwich and Great Yarmouth on Summer Saturdays- last year's timetable saw eight extra trains.
Also, new last year (whether they operated or not is another thing) was four additional services (two mid morning and two early afternoon) on Mondays and Fridays only, again to cater for holiday traffic.

Llandudno

Established Member
Dunrobin Castle station only opens in the summer when the Castle is open?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The strangely-named "Staycation Express" charter service that runs between Skipton and Carlisle from July to September.

Given the lack of commuting many services seem to be about tourists as opposed to those travelling for work.

route101

Established Member

IIRC it only ran a few times in 2020. The E and G line was blocked in August which stopped the service.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The Conwy valley line? it is of very little use because of timings to locals but is often full of tours complete with tour guide or locals of pensionable age who can use their bus pass on the Conwy valley for free and have a jolly up to Betws or Blaenau.

InOban

Established Member
That's a dangerous idea! Someone will point out that the WHL between Crianlarich and FW/Mallaig is almost entirely used by visitors...

Dai Corner

Established Member
Trains ran Cardiff Central - Builth Road via the Swansea District line for the Royal Welsh Show in the last week of July up until 2019. The Show was cancelled last year (and I think will be this year too) due to the pandemic.

I've no idea whether these were a franchise commitment or whether they'll run in future.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Conwy valley line? it is of very little use because of timings to locals but is often full of tours complete with tour guide or locals of pensionable age who can use their bus pass on the Conwy valley for free and have a jolly up to Betws or Blaenau.

There aren't any commuter timed services, but it is used by locals for shopping etc.

It seems the TfW plan is to run an hourly combined electric bus and train service over the route in future, which might well bring rather more usage.

Llandudno

Established Member
There aren't any commuter timed services, but it is used by locals for shopping etc.

It seems the TfW plan is to run an hourly combined electric bus and train service over the route in future, which might well bring rather more usage.
Some locals use it to go for a walk and/or visit the pub....!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Trains ran Cardiff Central - Builth Road via the Swansea District line for the Royal Welsh Show in the last week of July up until 2019. The Show was cancelled last year (and I think will be this year too) due to the pandemic.

I've no idea whether these were a franchise commitment or whether they'll run in future.

They were funded pre Arriva as part of the Rail Passenger Partnership fund , as were the extra HoW Sunday services - they were both rolled into the new (ATW) franchise as committed obligations.

Status
Not open for further replies.