• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

compsci

GCSEs, A levels etc are nothing compared to the final year of university. At Cambridge you have all of your exams for the final year within a week, in my case three consecutive days. Resits don't exist. Only one chance to get the class (grade) you want. When the last exam finishes you flee the room, have a few photos and then go and get really drunk.

Muppet

I have got

22 May: English Literature 2h:30m :(
4 June: Geography DEM 1h:15m
4 June: Maths 2h
5 June: English 2h
5 June: Enginerring 1h:30m
6 June: Science
7 June: English 2h
11 June: Maths
11 June: Geography 2h
12 June: Relgious Studies
13 June: Science

And theres my life ;)

mbonwick

Established Member
Rhys, no life then :lol:

Alistair, have edited the post if you would like to look ;)

Tom B

Established Member
My first exam starts on the 21st May? A2 Physics practical. Then the joys of *deep breath* UCP, FFE, Cosmology, C1, C3, C4, CPT4, GSA6.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently for some subjects you still get exams of e.g working outs half marks

In a typical 7 mark maths question, there will be A1 mark for the correct answer, and the rest are Method marks.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
First exam 15th May. I have about 4 exams before half term, followed by about 14 after half term - great planning there :roll:

kettlefan

I have my first exam (AS level) in three weeks. And joy of joys its Critical Thinking. My b*****d headmaster has the audacity to make it compulsory for all AS students to take it, as apparently unies like to have people with it now. We all think he's talking b****cks, mainly because we really would rather not do the exam, and that his behaviour toward us is on a par with Joseph Stalin. I really detest the thought of going to uni, and therefore don't care about said exam, and I also have been terrible in the practice papers. Wow, really off to a flying start aren't we!

at least i don't have to worry about maths, did away with that at GCSE!

I'm taking Classics, English (spits), Geography and good old DT (the only really enjoyable one as far as I'm concerned, although Classics comes up next as my favourite subject)

Tom B

Established Member
I have my first exam (AS level) in three weeks. And joy of joys its Critical Thinking. My b*****d headmaster has the audacity to make it compulsory for all AS students to take it, as apparently unies like to have people with it now. We all think he's talking b****cks, mainly because we really would rather not do the exam, and that his behaviour toward us is on a par with Joseph Stalin. I really detest the thought of going to uni, and therefore don't care about said exam, and I also have been terrible in the practice papers. Wow, really off to a flying start aren't we!

Which is completely contrary to what I've heard, which is that Critical Thinking is on a par with General Studies as something hat nobody really cares about. :|

D306

Established Member
I have no more exams for a while, but i got R.E exam and science exam in 2 weeks. and after half term 1 science exam

tubenutter

I like trains, but only my friends who i've known for ages know. no-one picks on me at school, for liking trains, as nobidy knows

I know this topic was "soooo 3 pages ago" but hey...

What's the big problem with trains? Everyone knows that I come on these forums and stuff (although I am, admittedly not as extreme as most of you) but Ive never been given any crap for it. You just have to learn how to be 'normal' at the same time!

Anyway.

Im findin year 11 more relaxed than school ever has been. We're all gonna fail though, cos we've all relaxed too much, but never mind...!

compsci

The real reason for forcing A level students to take the often pointless General Studies (completely discounted by many universities) is that the funding a school gets for a sixth form is directly related to the number of exams taken. General Studies costs approximately nothing to teach, but rakes in cash which can be used to prop up the rest of the school.

kettlefan

Which is completely contrary to what I've heard, which is that Critical Thinking is on a par with General Studies as something hat nobody really cares about. :|

EXACTLY!!!

The real reason for forcing A level students to take the often pointless General Studies (completely discounted by many universities) is that the funding a school gets for a sixth form is directly related to the number of exams taken. General Studies costs approximately nothing to teach, but rakes in cash which can be used to prop up the rest of the school.

I agree with that. Its SOOOOO pointless. A lot of the stuff we talk (and thats a joke, we ignore the teacher and just sleep, the 40 minutes it takes up is a wonderful window of opportunity for that sort of thing) about is the kind of thing you would rarely even stop to consider when making a quick remark in an argument and so on. I'd just rather carry on the way I am thanks, and just not get into arguments!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know this topic was "soooo 3 pages ago" but hey...

What's the big problem with trains? Everyone knows that I come on these forums and stuff (although I am, admittedly not as extreme as most of you) but Ive never been given any crap for it. You just have to learn how to be 'normal' at the same time!

Anyway.

Im findin year 11 more relaxed than school ever has been. We're all gonna fail though, cos we've all relaxed too much, but never mind...!

to me anyone who makes fun of a railway enthusiast is at a proverbial personality dead end in that they can't accept that there actually are people out there who are different to them. If they can accept it, they are just social rejects who have to point out "flaws" (as they see it) in other peoples lives in order to rack up a couple of cheap laughs in order to remain popular. My year was full of this foolishness, but they left and didn't stay on for sixth form, which left all the cool people to get along with each other. The fools were mainly the kind of people who put on fake cockney accents and act like they're 7 foot tall, but in fact are like under 5 foot (but don't realise it).

(but I can't understand the people who openly advertise their interest in railways, only to wonder why people pick on them, we have a guy in year 10 like that, doesn't know when not to talk "trains". That said, he's a bit of a p***k anyway, he keeps punching my younger brothers, so I may have to defend my families honour soon)

tubenutter

(but I can't understand the people who openly advertise their interest in railways, only to wonder why people pick on them, we have a guy in year 10 like that, doesn't know when not to talk "trains". That said, he's a bit of a p***k anyway, he keeps punching my younger brothers, so I may have to defend my families honour soon)

I'm completely with you on this one. Ive spoken to a number of younger forum members via msn who, as well as wondering why they get the **** taken out of them, claim not to know why. Ive also noticed in various threads on the forum. The answer is simple: get some social skills. :thumbup:

Established Member
I'm completely with you on this one. Ive spoken to a number of younger forum members via msn who, as well as wondering why they get the **** taken out of them, claim not to know why. Ive also noticed in various threads on the forum. The answer is simple: get some social skills. :thumbup:

To right , some people here like taking the mick of me and the other fred for some reason...

Tom B

Established Member

Pre-cisely.

All teachers at our school have at least 2 periods of either private study duty (where they supervise the private study room whilst getting on with some marking or whatnot) or General Studies. Thus if they weren't paying someone to 'teach' general studies, they'd just be supervising kids doing work.

Most of the staff therefore don't care less - it fills up their timetable. One said to us "right, I'm just going to get some resources out the cupboard - if you've all disappeared by the time I'm back, then so be it".

kettlefan

the thing thats remarkable about "the p***k" is his ability to simply "switch on" a conversation, making it sound like we've been talking for some time. I can be happily standing there waiting for my bus or something and suddenly to my right I'll hear a voice advocating the advantages over conjugated valve gear as opposed to chain driven valve gear. I will think "do I care?" At this point I will run a mile and hide. At those times, I feel embarassed about being a railway enthusiast. (then I realise that he's the problem and I'm normal).

LondonBVE

Today English Exam's Vocabulary was difficult other than that everything is fine. Tomorrow is Math Examination. :( Well today English Examination is about a person call Tom trying to steal a thing call Winter Egg which make up of more than 3000 diamonds and 1200 diamonds as the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.