• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess amount of Fares Increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z12XE

Can anyone tell me what good thing(s) (I might have blinked and missed it) One have done to justify 3 fares increases in 10 months so far?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know much about One's prices but all regulated fares should be limited to increases of RPI+1%?

What happened to ticket prices with the loss of GE/Anglia on the London-Ipswich corridor? I remember reading that they were going to be set at a level between the two sets of fares. It may be that the prices are being increased to the level of the more expensive fare (which would be the regulated fare)?

Z12XE

yorkie said:
I don't know much about One's prices but all regulated fares should be limited to increases of RPI+1%?

And thats about what they've increased them by each time (Dec 04, May 05, Sept 05)

What happened to ticket prices with the loss of GE/Anglia on the London-Ipswich corridor? I remember reading that they were going to be set at a level between the two sets of fares.

Yea that happened in May 04 when they took all of the cheaper GER Only fares away, since then they've jacked them higher than the Any TOC ones were.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am surprised they are allowed to do this. Do you have any figures? it might be worth contacting Barry Doe?

Z12XE

yorkie said:
I am surprised they are allowed to do this.

I suppose its because they are only jacking up the regulated fares once per year, but the unregulated ones (which FGE only used to tamper with once) can be adjusted as many times as they like.

Most likely One will spout, new trains, investment and their latest claim that Off peak travel has dropped after the attacks in London, but when it comes down to it, they got their maths wrong on the Franchise bid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Virgin used the 'new trains' excuse when they replaced HSTs with Voyagers, but it's very hard for passengers to accept that when we were not told in advance that fares would increase as a result.

So, either they deviously had it planned but kept quiet about it until now, or as you say they got their maths wrong. Or a combination of the two!

Status
Not open for further replies.