• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess fares via London

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelH

I've seen lots of helpful information here on paying excess fares to use a ticket via a different route, but I have a question that I haven'rt seen covered. If I'm travelling from Reading to any station in the North (for example Kendal), then two off-peak return tickets are offered: a cheaper one via Banbury and a more expensive one via London (or in some cases via any permitted route). If I buy the cheaper one and then want to return via London, I understand that I can buy an excess for half the price difference to allow this, but will that excess ticket then let me through the barriers to use the underground between Paddington and Euston, since the "via London" route that I'd be upgrading to includes the underground?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree with @Bletchleyite , in my experience the excess coupon will operate the underground ticket barriers. Note that it is common practice to staple the excess coupon to the original coupon which can cause issues in which case just ask the staff to let you through manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.