Excess for an OP to Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by kbrockie, 10 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbrockie

kbrockie New Member

Hi there

Wondering if I were to upgrade the return portion of a OP Day return to use at peak time would I have to pay the fuil difference between the OPDR and ADR or just for 1 portion?

Journey is LBT-EDB return. Fare with railcard Anytime £8,45, OP £6.25.

cheers
    Keith

2. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

With reference to the forum rules:
    What is an OPDR or ADR when they're home?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
  3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Assuming you mean off-peak to Anytime, the full difference is due for a change of ticket type excess.

4. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

These don't appear to be valid fare codes. But, whatever the ticket type it is the full difference (as detailed in our Fares Guide).
    Fortunately these are valid station codes! For anyone without easy access to a computer, that's Larbert to Edinburgh
    http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=EDB&dest=LBT&rlc=DIS

The cost of the excess is £2.20

5. paulweaver

paulweaver Established Member

Does this excess need to be paid before boarding the train (assuming the Ticket Office is open), or can it be paid on the train?

6. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

If possible, before boarding.

7. yorkie

It's the same price, but where ticket inspections occur prior to boarding, the passenger can be sent to the ticket office.

8. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Note that the new NRCoT allow a Penalty Fare to be charged for a ticket invalid due to time restrictions, which was not the case before. Therefore, I would say if there is a ticket office open you must do it before boarding. You can't do it at a TVM so one of those is not relevant.

9. paulweaver

paulweaver Established Member

Do Scotrail do penalty fares?

10. yorkie

No, and my understanding is that the legislation doesn't allow for a PF to be issued in these circumstances either.

11. 185143

185143 Established Member

The penalty fare notice I was sat next to on Merseyrail today did not mention PFs being chargeable when using off peak tickets at peak times

12. yorkie

That's correct, they aren't.

13. furlong

furlong Established Member

I don't see how anything has changed here. The new wording might be "simpler" but it doesn't change the actual Penalty Fares schemes it is merely attempting to summarise.

The SRA Policy which still governs all Penalty Fares schemes is unequivocal:

And the old wording supporting this is still present, now in 9.4:

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Remember, Penalty Fares meant to offer a fast-track resolution in situations where it is reasonable to infer that the passenger is being dishonest and could (in principle) be prosecuted successfully under RORA. (Typically, the passenger ignored both unambiguous signage insisting that he or she pay before travelling and usable ticketing facilities.) Where the facts of a situation can also be explained reasonably in an alternative way that does not demonstrate deliberate evasion, then allowing a Penalty Fare to be issued is inappropriate, and I think that that's what the Rules are trying to cover here and why they have to err on the safe side.

You hold an Advance ticket that clearly states it's only valid on a different train? Safe to assume you know what you are doing and attempting to avoid buying a new one.

You hold an Off-Peak ticket that's invalid because of rarely-simple restrictions? The Penalty Fares system has to give you the benefit of the doubt for the reasons the policy lays out, but that doesn't preclude the direct use of RORA where sufficient evidence of deliberate evasion is present.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.