• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess into a Train Company specific fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I know its not possible to "excess" out of a TOC specific route (i.e. once your ticket is LM only you can not pay more to make it VT only or any permitted), but is it possible to excess from Any Permitted into a TOC only route (then where your there your stuck with it)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I know its not possible to "excess" out of a TOC specific route (i.e. once your ticket is LM only you can not pay more to make it VT only or any permitted), but is it possible to excess from Any Permitted into a TOC only route (then where your there your stuck with it)?
If we accept that it's written in stone that you are not allowed to excess between 'Any Permitted' and 'TOC-specific' tickets, then the same logic would apply as it's the same change (just in reverse) so the limitations should still apply.

However, if you start from the premise that the reason that it's not possible to excess from the TOC-specific to 'Any Permitted' is because the TOC that set the restrictions isn't willing to grant any additional flexibility (even if given consideration), then the counter-argument would be that in the reverse direction the flexibility provided by the 'Any Permitted' is the customer's and they can give it up if they choose to.

However, I'm willing to bet there's no hard and fast rule since the 'Any Permitted' would allow the passenger to just use the services of the TOC concerned, and most of the time it's the more expensive ticket anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you can.

However if it's the return portion of a return ticket, staff may refuse to do this if they believe you may have used the outward portion on a different Train Company.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This thread may be of interest to you.

Hypothetically, you could excess out of a TOC restriction to another one if the original operator is still included. For example, Liverpool - MKC LM Only off peak return at £36.00 could be excessed overdistance to Liverpool - Brighton LM&SN Only off peak return at £56.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.