• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess or routing guide rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkhtele

Can anyone explain to me if someone has an anytime ticket from Plymouth to St Budeaux Victoria rd and decides to travel to St Budeaux ferry rd instead what extra fare would be applicable?

Common sense says it would be valid to both. What would the technical correct answer be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Officially they are down in the fares database as two separate stations rather than a station group, so strictly speaking you would need to buy a single Keyham - Ferry Road.

Of course in practice, if you approached the guard and asked to buy a single because your ticket was to the "wrong" St Budeaux, he would probably laugh at you and tell you don't be silly!

bkhtele

Officially they are down in the fares database as two separate stations rather than a station group, so strictly speaking you would need to buy a single Keyham - Ferry Road.

Of course in practice, if you approached the guard and asked to buy a single because your ticket was to the "wrong" St Budeaux, he would probably laugh at you and tell you don't be silly!

Many thanks. Am I correct in saying an excess in not appropriate as it is on different route?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Many thanks. Am I correct in saying an excess in not appropriate as it is on different route?

Correct. An excess can only be for travelling at the wrong time of day, travelling beyond the destination printed on the ticket, or travelling to the same destination by a route that would be permitted the route field on the ticket were different.

Quakkerillo

I'd just have named them the same station anyway. You only need a 30m walkway to walk from the platform of one station to another.

And I personally wouldn't even ask for a excess or anything. I doubt any guard would mind seeing either station name on the ticket. Although this probably isn't advice one should give. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.