• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess Single to Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleaver

Is it still possible to excess an anytime single to an anytime return?

I ask because I just tried to excess my anytime single from Worcester to Kidderminster to a return at the Kidderminster ticket office and was informed that they no longer can excess them. They also said that they should of never been excessing them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ask a guard to do it.

Some TIS are not programmed for such an excess fare.

455driver

Veteran Member
Surely once you get to Kidderminster the single ticket has no validity as it has been fully used.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surely once you get to Kidderminster the single ticket has no validity as it has been fully used.

That is correct. A fully used ticket cannot be excessed under normal circumstances due to revenue concerns. There is only one caveat, that is unless there was no opportunity to do so up until that point.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

I ask because I just tried to excess my anytime single from Worcester to Kidderminster to a return at the Kidderminster ticket office and was informed that they no longer can excess them. They also said that they should have never been excessing them.
It certainly is still possible, at least it was last month.

The difference is, my excess was done in advance of travel, within the terms of the TSA. When the ticket validity has expired, staff are far less likely to agree to such an excess due to the possibility of people picking any old ticket up off the floor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44

Aeion

If you do it before you travel or while on the train then you should have no problem, as a guard I'd be happy to help. But attempt it after completing your initial journey and there is no chance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, if a passenger makes a mistake ,or there's been a misunderstanding etc, it can be rectified and this should be done at the earliest opportunity.
I ask because I just tried to excess my anytime single from Worcester to Kidderminster to a return at the Kidderminster ticket office and was informed that they no longer can excess them. They also said that they should of never been excessing them.
They should have never been excessing expired/completely used tickets, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.