• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess ticket to change origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyaloud

i have an unused return portion of a Euston to Birmingham international off peak return London midland only. Would I be able to excess this to be from Stoke to London instead of Birmingham to London and then to use the direct Stoke to london london midland service? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

horizonflame

As I understand it if you do you will pay for the full return fare not just your return leg of the journey.

However excesses are a lottery even for legitimate excesses so shop around and see what price you get charged! Also worth noting you will only be able to purchase a LM-Only fare, not any other route.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You can excess to any fare you like, but it will retain the LM Only restriction.

(However I'm not sure you can excess the start of a ticket?)

It's generally technically possible, and I personally have bought such an excess on many occasions. However, there is no explicit right to be sold one.

marshmallow

It's generally technically possible, and I personally have bought such an excess on many occasions. However, there is no explicit right to be sold one.
I have been told that it's not possible; if you have a return ticket from B to C then the return portion can be excessed to A, however there is no way of adding A to B to the outward ticket even though you would be paying for it. It seems rather unfair.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
i have an unused return portion of a Euston to Birmingham international off peak return London midland only. Would I be able to excess this to be from Stoke to London instead of Birmingham to London and then to use the direct Stoke to london london midland service? Thanks
The excess would be £11.50 (£40.50 - £29.50) if you can get someone willing to issue it.

You may have to shop around, as there is nothing documented to entitle you to the excess.

It is possible to issue on some ticket issuing systems (TIS) but staff may not know how and/or may not be prepared to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.