• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excesses on mobile tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
An interesting question came up on Travel Stack Exchange. I was about to post a simple answer about how to get an excess at Paddington, but then I noticed that OP had said they hold a mobile ticket. Never having used one of those myself, it made me wonder.

My gut instinct says that getting an Excess on a mobile ticket, while perhaps not technically impossible, is going to be so hard that it may as well be. Or am I wrong? Will a ticket office just sell you an excess no problem if you hold a mobile ticket? Or is there another way to go about it? One answer below suggested you can change the ticket through the GWR website but that this will incur an admin fee. This to me sounds more like the procedure for changing an advance than an actual excess though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You should be able to get an excess, eg change of route, over distance, 1st class in the normal way. The fact that you have an e-ticket or m-ticket matters not.

Of course being the railway the reality will probably be different. Excesses are notoriously difficult to obtain, even if you have an old fashioned paper ticket so the chances are you’ll need to shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.