• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing a fare anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddingdonkey

What is the position with an over-riding excess on a journey where there is a fare anomaly and the longer journey is cheaper?

I'm looking at Huddersfield to Halifax anytime return £5.50. On the return leg there is a chance that I would want to return to Slaithwaite, one stop beyond Huddersfield. Slaithwaite to Halifax anytime return £4.80. Would Halifax booking price issue an excess for this journey? I realise they probably won't refund the 35p but i wonder if there is going to be a "computer says no" scenario?

I know I could start short on a Slaithwaite to Halifax anytime return, but I'm not sure what the reaction would be if I try to buy that at Huddersfield where the Halifax fare is one the clerks are likely to know of the top of their heads!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I know I could start short on a Slaithwaite to Halifax anytime return, but I'm not sure what the reaction would be if I try to buy that at Huddersfield where the Halifax fare is one the clerks are likely to know of the top of their heads!

Not an answer to your actual question I know, but you could book the Slaithwaite to Halifax anytime return online and just collect it from Huddersfield, thus avoiding the clerks and their fare knowledge. But as I said, I know I'm not answering your question.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Where the longer journey is cheaper and the excess being applied is valid, it is my understanding that a zero-fare excess will be issued. There are no refunds. You may need to approach a few members of staff until you find one willing/able to issue the excess however.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just buy the Slaithwaite ticket from the ticket office. I'm surprised you would even consider buying the Huddersfield ticket. To save arguments, just say you are returning to Slaithwaite so this ticket would be appropriate.

ASharpe

I find the Halifax booking office to be good at doing over distance excesses.

However some people on this forum have had problems getting an excess to take them back beyond the origin. So I would also advise just buying the correct ticket to begin with at Huddersfield.

noddingdonkey

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of booking from Slaithwaite online and collecting from the machine at Hudds

Status
Not open for further replies.