• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing a ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyJ

Yesterday i had a meeting in Glasgow but due to the timings of the trains i had to go from Livingston North to Queen Street.

as Central station was nearer for my return i tried to change the ticket and ask if i could go to Livingston South and just pay the difference, to which i was told no as the line splits in two so wouldnt be happening.

I dont like to dispute what rail staff tell me but Edinburgh had no problem in changing my Livingston South ticket into a Livingston North one.

Could i have changed my ticket at Glasgow or not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Deviation off route to a new destination is not strictly an excess really, it is a new ticket from the point of divergence. Some ticket offices don't fair well with excess fares, getting the rules wrong or denying they exist in some cases, but in this case Glasgow were right, it should not be changed to a new destination.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From the "local routing guide" posted on our commercial notice board. With regard to stations on separate lines serving one community travel is allowed to either station upon payment of any difference in fares.

Examples are Glenrothes with Thorton/ Markinch; South Gyle/ Edinburgh Park;
Clarkston/ Williamwood; Musselburgh/ Newcraighall; & yes Livingston South/ Livingston North

It is my belief that Livinston North to Glasgow QS is more expensive than Livingston South to Glasgow Ctl so NO excess is required and your ticket should be accepted without question (apart from the Guard's reasonable question that you know you are travelling to the South station & not the North/)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes that's the one, however, there have been a few additions/changes with regard to the Airdrie/Bathgate reopening viz.

Tickets to Livingston North are valid to Livingston South and v.v. to/from and via Edinburgh and Glasgow subject to the payment of any difference in fares (the to/from/via Glasgow is the new bit).

I suppose this is just common sense really but what would make more sense is to standardise the fares from both Livingston stations to/from & via both Edinburgh & Glasgow. (How would creating a group Livingston Stns affect this?)

(I can remember when the SDS was 10p cheaper from LVG, the CDR was the same, & the SDR 10p more expensive from LSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.