• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing an Advance Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

joke2711

Morning

Yesterday due to every car park at Warrington being completely full, I missed my train to London.
It wasn't a problem as I had been booked on to the slower via Birmingham Service and the next direct service served me perfectly well.

Could someone please confirm what the charges are for excessing an advance ticket?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Morning

Yesterday due to every car park at Warrington being completely full, I missed my train to London.
It wasn't a problem as I had been booked on to the slower via Birmingham Service and the next direct service served me perfectly well.

Could someone please confirm what the charges are for excessing an advance ticket?

Many thanks
If you do it before departure, there is an admin fee of £10 to change it to a later train.

Once the departure time has passed, the ticket has no value.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Morning

Many thanks
You can change the booked train on an Advance prior to departure, subject to an admin fee and the difference in price to the new Advance (or you can excess to a flexible fare).

For most retailers, and as far as I'm aware for all ticket office purchased tickets, the admin fee is the standard £10 per ticket, but some retailers (e.g. TrainSplit) only charge once per basket (i.e. if you book several Advances at once, you will only be charged one £10 fee for changing any of them), and other retailers charge no fee at all (e.g. CrossCountry or TransPennine Express).

142blue

On Moderation
As mentioned £10 plus the difference pre departure, pending advances being available on the next train. However and importantly unless your ticket was bought at a VT station you can not change it to another advance even if its the VT website

You can and most likely in this situation be able to change it to a walk up

If the trains gone and you are not on it then new ticket

P. S I personally think this £10 change per ticket needs looking at as its inconsistent who does and doesn't charge it which is not fair on anyone

gray1404

Established Member
So after you had missed your booked train and caught the next one, what ticket did you travel on?

joke2711

Thanks for the reply seems that I was treated very well by the staff at Warrington Bank Quay. The train had indeed departed 5 minutes before I arrived to collect the tickets but the staff printed off the ticket and excessed my Advance ticket to an off-peak single and wavered the £10 admin fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.