• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing an outboundary Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
Is it possible to excess an outboundary One Day Travelcard to a ticket type (Off Peak, Anytime) valid for return up to one month?

I know CDR/SDRs can be excessed in this way, just not sure about out boundary Travelcards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've had it done before a couple of years ago, but it was a bit dodgy and I have a feeling it shouldn't have been done.

The thing is you can't get period returns to / from London Zones 1-6, so there isn't anything you can excess it too.

TP

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's certainly possible, whether it is permitted is another question :) I'd say it definitely shouldn't be done unless the ticket is unused, as an excess once the Travelcard part has been used would change it to a ticket which wouldn't be valid for the travel already made.

The thing is you can't get period returns to / from London Zones 1-6, so there isn't anything you can excess it too.

You can get period returns to U1256 (single underground journey), but not Z1256 (Travelcard).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can get period returns to U1256 (single underground journey), but not Z1256 (Travelcard).

Wouldn't you then be changing the origin of the ticket, which isn't permitted on a change of ticket type excess?

TP

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wouldn't you then be changing the origin of the ticket, which isn't permitted on a change of ticket type excess?

TP

Sorry yes, I just meant to clarify that there are period returns to London Zones.

It would probably count as a change of destination; it would be the most reasonable candidate though I think if the excess were to be done. I will now stop hypothesising and leave it to someone with access to The Manual to give a definitive answer :D

barrykas

Established Member
Excess Fare procedures in The Manual were last updated on 19th March, with a new "Excess involving London Day Travelcards" page being added:

It is NOT possible to use standard excess fare procedures in relation to Day Travelcards, as this will cause problems with ticket gate operation and revenue allocation. In the following circumstances a new Day Travelcard must be issued and the original ticket submitted for a refund:

1. Changing a non-Travelcard ticket into a Day Travelcard (e.g. excess an Off-Peak Day Return to London Terminals into an Off-Peak Day Travelcard).

2. Upgrading between different inboundary Day Travelcard zonal combinations (e.g. excess a London Zones 1-2 Day Travelcard into a London Zones 1-6 Day Travelcard).

3. Changing between different Day Travelcard fare categories (e.g. excess an Off-Peak Day Travelcard into an Anytime Day Travelcard).

4. Upgrading a Standard Class Day Travelcard into a First Class Day Travelcard.

Please note that in scenarios 3 and 4 above, if the excess relates only to the trunk leg of a Day Travelcard to/from an Outboundary location and does not impact on travel within the London Zonal area itself, excess fares may be issued where the ticketing system is capable of issuing it (please refer to local instructions).

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.