• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing Ticket On Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

LondonJohn

I recently travelled from Brighton to Wollston via Clapham Junction and one train from Clapham to Southampton was cancelled (xx12) meaning the next one was xx42. Boarding at Clapham is a nightmare anyway though eased a bit due to 8cars stopping there now as opposed to just 5 but it was still busy so I sat in First as there were no seats in standard and asked the guard for an excess to First Class. The ticket was discounted by my Annual Gold Card.

The difference in fare was £9.40. The on board staff member said it would be £10 weekend upgrade one way, I told him I wanted the excess and he said they couldn’t do it as it was a fare set by Southern and they were only permitted to sell certain fares on board and kept asking me if I would pay cash on card for the £10 upgrade, I protested and said surely if you have a ticket priced X and the fare was y you would pay z which is the difference and he said they could only excess off peak to peak tickets between certain stations. He told me to pay the fare and write in and claim it back.. and I asked him if he had a control room or ticketing support as I had excessed the fare before (usually in times of disruption to get a seat) and he said that such support wasn’t available at weekends.

You might have thought he could have said look ok your going to be an hour late I’ll let you off but I would have been quite willing to pay the excess and lo and behold 25 minutes later he managed to find a way to excess the ticket. I thanked him for his help but he clearly had the hump at being told how to do his job though I was polite and civil at all times.

Is this just a case of don’t know/cant be bothered to help, pay over the odds and write in claim the difference back,later or should he have known how to excess a point A to point B via C.

Is it worth complaining to South Western Railway and or passenger focus about not being initially able to sell me the correct ticket for my journey or should I have gone to the ticket office at Clapham in the 30min delay and excessed the ticket then. If it is the latter I would have only really wanted to do this to get a seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bookd

I may be in a minority in this forum, but why go to all the bother and aggravation to save 60p.? I am sure that you were in the right but life is short!

LondonJohn

9’
I may be in a minority in this forum, but why go to all the bother and aggravation to save 60p.? I am sure that you were in the right but life is short!

£9.40:would have excessed the entire journey including the return as opposed to jut one way at £10. If it was just the case of 60p I wouldn’t have minded.

What irks me more is he came up with so many excuses as to why he *could not* excess the ticket all of which turned out to be incorrect

PeterC

Established Member
Can you officially upgrade on board now? I remember signs back in the day warning that tickets could only be upgraded before boarding otherwise the full 1st class fair would be payable on board.

MG11

I recently travelled from Brighton to Wollston via Clapham Junction and one train from Clapham to Southampton was cancelled (xx12) meaning the next one was xx42. Boarding at Clapham is a nightmare anyway though eased a bit due to 8cars stopping there now as opposed to just 5 but it was still busy so I sat in First as there were no seats in standard and asked the guard for an excess to First Class. The ticket was discounted by my Annual Gold Card.

The difference in fare was £9.40. The on board staff member said it would be £10 weekend upgrade one way, I told him I wanted the excess and he said they couldn’t do it as it was a fare set by Southern and they were only permitted to sell certain fares on board and kept asking me if I would pay cash on card for the £10 upgrade, I protested and said surely if you have a ticket priced X and the fare was y you would pay z which is the difference and he said they could only excess off peak to peak tickets between certain stations. He told me to pay the fare and write in and claim it back.. and I asked him if he had a control room or ticketing support as I had excessed the fare before (usually in times of disruption to get a seat) and he said that such support wasn’t available at weekends.

You might have thought he could have said look ok your going to be an hour late I’ll let you off but I would have been quite willing to pay the excess and lo and behold 25 minutes later he managed to find a way to excess the ticket. I thanked him for his help but he clearly had the hump at being told how to do his job though I was polite and civil at all times.

Is this just a case of don’t know/cant be bothered to help, pay over the odds and write in claim the difference back,later or should he have known how to excess a point A to point B via C.

Is it worth complaining to South Western Railway and or passenger focus about not being initially able to sell me the correct ticket for my journey or should I have gone to the ticket office at Clapham in the 30min delay and excessed the ticket then. If it is the latter I would have only really wanted to do this to get a seat.
Special discounts only apply when the ticket is bought before boarding the train. Clapham Junction has ticket purchasing facilities. However, luckily for you, South Western Railway were seemingly offering a Weekend Upgrade, which *most, TOCs allow you to purchase onboard. Any other upgrade would be at the discretion of the on train crew. It sounds as though the Train Manager were within their rights to charge you the £10 Upgrade. Remember South Western Railway operate a Penalty Fare scheme and had it been a day when the Weekend Upgrade was not applicable, you may have been liable for a Penalty Fare.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There’s no entitlement to excess on board in these circumstances as other posters have pointed out.

The correct fare was the Weekend Upgrade, like everyone else would have had to buy.

[.n]

SWR have issued new policy to staff, that contrary to custom until about 3 weeks ago, it it now no longer permissible for staff to excess a ticket from standard to first on board, a new ticket must be issued (can't now recall if this was allowed to be discounted now if you had a relevant railcard). The only exception being the selling of a Weekend 1st upgrade.

Another way the new SWR management have messed up any good will they had inherited - they really ought to be forced to give back the franchise.

(Having said that VTWC is being rubbish today, no catering in 1st or shop on board my train today, which is annoying as there was a big power failure at Euston as well closing lots of shops / eating places / escalators / lifts). Also the boarding procedure is weird at Euston, seems designed to upset passengers!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
(Having said that VTWC is being rubbish today, no catering in 1st or shop on board my train today, which is annoying as there was a big power failure at Euston as well closing lots of shops / eating places / escalators / lifts). Also the boarding procedure is weird at Euston, seems designed to upset passengers!

I’m guessing the power failure at Euston & no catering on board are connected, as that will have effected supplies.

I don’t know what is weird about the Euston boarding procedure?

Jonfun

Established Member
I’m guessing the power failure at Euston & no catering on board are connected, as that will have effected supplies.

I don’t know what is weird about the Euston boarding procedure?

Because everywhere else you wait on the platform next to your train. Euston is more like an airport where you have to wait on the main concourse until they announce your train, often with little time prior to departure causing a mad rush.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I think that’s all main terminus, not unique to Euston. Marylebone give you even less notice of a platform. St Pancras do it do. Paddington do it too.

[.n]

I think that’s all main terminus, not unique to Euston. Marylebone give you even less notice of a platform. St Pancras do it do. Paddington do it too.

I might just be used to Waterloo, where there is more notice and a bigger concourse.

But also why not just have ticket barriers instead of 2 members of staff checking every ticket, its really slow

island

Veteran Member
I might just be used to Waterloo, where there is more notice and a bigger concourse.

But also why not just have ticket barriers instead of 2 members of staff checking every ticket, its really slow
Some platforms at Euston do have ticket gates, but these are unable to check whether an advance ticket holder is joining the correct service. With a preponderance of VTWC services having high levels of advance ticket usage, the mk1 human eyeball is a better checking method.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The ticket barriers are on the LO and LNWR platforms only anyway, not the Virgin platforms

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I've forgotten what the layout is like at Euston - is it possible to walk between the platforms at the train side of the gate line?

Not those ones no. So you couldn’t enter on P6 and end up on P1 for example. P1-3 are completely isolated from the rest of the “paid” side.

mmh

Established Member
I've forgotten what the layout is like at Euston - is it possible to walk between the platforms at the train side of the gate line?

Between 1 and 3 it is, and also the 3 (?) highest numbered platforms too - they share a single ramp down from the concourse.
1 and 3 are barriered now (and a right pain it is) but you can also just walk around the barriers towards platform 1, it's a very
odd setup. Although I imagine if the barriers are in use the staff will soon call you over if you do that.

Sleepy

Established Member
Some platforms at Euston do have ticket gates, but these are unable to check whether an advance ticket holder is joining the correct service. With a preponderance of VTWC services having high levels of advance ticket usage, the mk1 human eyeball is a better checking method.
Most TOC will let Advance ticket holders board - if they are found to be on wrong train they are dealt with accordingly, normally new ticket required.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Most TOC will let Advance ticket holders board - if they are found to be on wrong train they are dealt with accordingly, normally new ticket required.

The point of the Euston barrier though is to remove the need for an onboard check

island

Veteran Member
The point of the Euston barrier though is to remove the need for an onboard check
Indeed – thereby avoiding bad publicity when someone on a £25 advance to Preston gets on a service 13 minutes too early and gets charged up (inevitably reported as "fined") for at least a £159 single to Warrington, the first stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.