• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exciting new release from the North Korean transport film unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doorslammer

Isn't it amazing? It's like there is a ratio for how despotic a nation is in relation to the size of the hat worn. :lol:

Mind you, didn't think much of their version of "Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club"... <D

jamesontheroad

Established Member
For similar hilarity, check out this video promoting Phyunghwa General Motor Works' fine new automobile, proudly designed and built in the DPRK :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q14NdC9E2BE

Except as everyone outside the DPRK can see, it is in fact the locally assembled version of the Fiat Palio, Fiat's world car, which is sold in easy to assemble 'CKD' (complete knocked-down kit) form to any third world nation who wants to start building cars :)

See what wondrous luxuries the people's car has... a radio (locked to the one approved station) and a car alarm (as if prison camps didn't deter thieves anyway...)

scotsman

Established Member
As the driver says (I can tell from the size of the hat)
"I drive trains because I want to serve my country and it's people, just as our Dear Leader wishes us to"

jopsuk

Veteran Member
What is it with communism and hats?

Come now, it isn't just communism. Any form of totalitarianism, regardless of supposed economic leanings (it all ends up the same anyway in practice). But yes, hats are a big thing.

Drsatan

Established Member
Both videos really confirm what a strange and fascinating world these people are forced to live in.

That's one heck of an empty road they got there.

It's because few North Koreans can afford cars, and fewer still are allowed to own them (internal travel within NK is strictly regulated - to cross province boundaries you need a travel permit)

Of course, these regulations don't apply to Kim Jong-il, who has his own private train and a fleet of 200 Mercedes S-class cars, which he races at one of his palaces on the outskirts of Pyongyang <(

jamesontheroad

Established Member
At least they got an electric railway throughout their country ;)

These (very brave) railfans from Austria managed to enter the DPRK via the officially closed Russian rail crossing near Kasan. IIRC they saw some trains operated by diesels and understood that the national grid is not capable of providing stable power to the entire network all of the time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if there's a RailNK forum...

...including threads like

• My train was late. Has anyone got Kim Jong-il's email address?
  • Is anyone still here after taking photos on the railway?
  • Do you think anyone is tracking my whereabouts with my DPRK Oystercard?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
More like:
  • My 200mph rail journey was most pleasent. Praise our Dear Leader.
  • I am glad our trains are not as overcrowded as those of the capitalist pigs. Praise Kim!

Doorslammer

These (very brave) railfans from Austria managed to enter the DPRK via the officially closed Russian rail crossing near Kasan. IIRC they saw some trains operated by diesels and understood that the national grid is not capable of providing stable power to the entire network all of the time.

A fantastic blog, have read it a few times now. Urge everyone to have a look if they haven't done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.