• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Exclusive?] New Type of 442!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
I wonder if Google noticed this when putting their superb 'Google Earth' program together (which is where I found this)...

BournemouthWessex.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metrocammel

LOL, maybe it was working wrong track and someone dropped a big guillotene down from the bridge, the rest went on but that half was left under the bridge!!!! :shock: lol

Dennis

Established Member
From the angles of the shadows on each side of the bridge it looks like two images taken at different times. More worrying is that it something seems to have ploughed through the wall of the bridge.

Thats not a 442 anyway, SWT are evaluating the Parry People Mover - the corridor connections allow them to run 12 car trains (as part of their franchise deal) without having to worry about platform lengthening.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Those flaming PPMs are threatening to take DMUs off Stourbridge Town - Junction! I'd rather a 153 than a PPM on that any day!

Interesting shot there mind.

tramboy

I'd rather see a PPM put to good use actually...and then the unit relocated to somewhere else in the Midlands, or even the country, that has a stock shortage.

Back on topic, the image does show how exactly most remote sensing images are put together...with only a certain amount of time a satellite (and therefore the sensing gear onboard) are above the specific area, it's no wonder things may not be totally as they seem!

(Yes, I am doing a course in that as part of my degree!)

Cheers

Dave

Tomnick

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Those flaming PPMs are threatening to take DMUs off Stourbridge Town - Junction! I'd rather a 153 than a PPM on that any day!
One less 153 required for a pointless operation like that...is one more that could be help Central provide something that's slightly approaching a decent service in Lincolnshire...

AlexS

Established Member
As far as the stourbridge flyer goes, you won't really tell the difference between a 153 and a PPM anyway. As for shufting it over to Lincolnshire, you've now got a load of 158s and 156s working Notts to Lincoln haven't you? ;) :P

Tomnick

Established Member
AlexS said:
As far as the stourbridge flyer goes, you won't really tell the difference between a 153 and a PPM anyway. As for shufting it over to Lincolnshire, you've now got a load of 158s and 156s working Notts to Lincoln haven't you? ;) :P
Oh yeah, Central actually care about that route - even get 170s on there when they feel like it :shock: (always used to happen on one particular evening train - unit was then booked to work to Donny and back...a route from which 170s were/are barred - time to get on the phone to the bus company... :roll: ). As for the rest of the network around Lincs...I think they've not yet realised they're responsible for running a service on there :( ;) .

Techniquest

Veteran Member
LOL!

I believe I've seen a 170 for Grimsby Town from Leicester before now, certainly as far as Lincoln. About as rare as seeing a 170/1 on the 1852 HFD - Dorridge, via Kidderminster mind. Next time it happens, I want to do that to Dorridge, mark the route as FC!

Point taken mind on the 153 being more useful on the main CT network. I'm surprised they don't use 153s already on the New Street to HFD runs!

Tomnick

Established Member
Hmm, s'pose they did once take us slightly seriously. Nowadays though, I don't think any Grimsby trains run any further than Newark Northgate (certainly not many!), so we're not honoured with posh trains working through to exotic destinations like Hereford any more :shock: ;) .

AlexS

Established Member
I notice that they have started running 153s in multiple with 150s now on the peak time services, which they never seemed that keen before. Our all stations stopper is generally 90% turbostar operated, with the rest being formed of 158s and 150s. Very rarely attract a 175 on a Chester run too.

Tomnick

Established Member
AlexS said:
I notice that they have started running 153s in multiple with 150s now on the peak time services
Think 'peak time' is a concept we're unfamiliar with in Lincolnshire ;) . Not that Central would bother to do anything about it even if we did have one!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
lol, it's not that much better on the western end of the CT network! We may get 170s and occasionally a 156 (I will make sure I do everything I can to bash a 156 off HFD next time it comes here! A rare treat!), but it doesn't mean our service is very good. Indeed, we've lost a couple of CT services in the last year and had them retimed too, but still don't meet with the arrival of most ATW services...Plus we have the annoying lack of a north end turnaround, which can and does delay late-running trains on their return journey, and if they're late enough, they're turned back at Ledbury, Great Malvern or even Worcester if it's that bad! Plus the HFD - Worcester route is single line between Shelwick Junction and Malvern Wells, something that can and does cause heavy delays. If there was a late enough bus service, most people from Ledbury would probably take the bus going back to Hereford. If Colwall and Malvern had a late-ish bus route to Hereford, if at all, then I daresay they'd use it too. Only due to the lack of any buses at the times people need them, if they exist at all do we have a train service with CT. It would be all terminating at Great Malvern with peak time services from Paddington to Hereford in the evening otherwise I reckon, with a possible couple of CTs in the morning and evening to relieve pressure on FGW trains.

I've no experience of CT in Lincolnshire, the nearest I've got to there in recent years is Nottingham, with Skegness reached a few years ago. Point is, it's not all rosy in the west!

Tomnick

Established Member
FGWFan said:
I've no experience of CT in Lincolnshire...
Neither have we :shock: ;) ;)
FGWFan said:
...the nearest I've got to there in recent years is Nottingham, with Skegness reached a few years ago.
Being dead pedantic now - Skegness is pretty far into Lincolnshire...so you just possibly did experience CT in Lincs :idea: ;) .

Sorry...it's exam season...we're all going bonkers here :shock: :oops: .

Status
Not open for further replies.