• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter Central query

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

As one of the users of Simsig I have decided to try and replicate the timetable that ran for the Honiton - Exeter Central shuttles that rain 08th - 11th July 2012 during the closure of the Salisbury - Exeter line that was in force over those days following the flooding at Axminster.

Although I am uncertain what the working arrangements were I am presuming that SWT, who run the London Waterloo - Exeter St. Davids services, used the bay platform at Exeter Central so as to keep the other lines clear: therefore the bay platform - P1 - at Exeter Central will be in use here.

Also I am assuming the same train codes were used as normal: I emailed SWT hoping to get the full schedule and train codes, along with what traction was used, but have had no reply since I sent the email to SWT on Tuesday.

Here is the Exeter Central map on SimSig's layout for Exeter: the breaks in the track are for the boundaries between each circuit.

simsig_exc.gif

So here is the question: knowing that SWT use Class 159s between Waterloo and Exeter I guess they were used for the Honiton - Exeter short workings too. But does anyone know how many carriages were used, and how many carriages would fit into Platform 1 - the bay platform - at Exeter Central?

I have the arrival and departure times from each end so that is something at least.

Thanks.
Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xavi

I'm sure 2 x 159 units will fit in the bay. SWT sometimes stables units there when there are engineering works.

TEW

Established Member
Mainly single 159s were used. Services ran into Platform 1 at Exeter Central usually but Platform 2 was also used sometimes. Some of the services also extended to/from Exeter St Davids. The headcodes used were the normal ones but 1Zxx instead of 1Lxx. On the 10th services towards Hontion used 2Zxx rather than 1Zxx.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Exeter Central bay is '9' (based on 20m cars) in the current Quail track plan if it's of any help.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Mainly single 159s were used. Services ran into Platform 1 at Exeter Central usually but Platform 2 was also used sometimes. Some of the services also extended to/from Exeter St Davids. The headcodes used were the normal ones but 1Zxx instead of 1Lxx. On the 10th services towards Hontion used 2Zxx rather than 1Zxx.
TEW,

Thanks for the reply to my message: most helpful. One more thing though: do you happen to know / remember which journeys extended through to / from Exeter St. Davids? JourneyCheck made no mention of Exeter St. Davids. In addition, on Tuesday, the first train of the day, came from Honiton, not from Exeter.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.