• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exiting a Train via the Door Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where is the rule stating "proper" use of a door? Dukes of hazard showed me through the window is the way ....... Your honour..

Don't blame me.

If you saw someone climbing out of a window head first as the train was departing and you decided to get involved by grabbing hold of their feet and dragging them back into the train, which then caused them to be exposed to the outside world for even longer, meaning that they slammed wide eyed into a badly placed 'No passengers beyond this point' sign, and received a nasty graze on their cheek.
Could you then expect (perhaps justly) to find yourself involved in the litigation process?
It's good to know what's acceptable sometimes.

Established Member
I have personally seen people do this on at least three occasions and one whilst the train was actually moving all to success. With the one where the train was moving a 6 minute delay was incurred as train had to stopped. There is no accounting for idiocy though. Pointless me telling them how dangerous it could of been as the first time i did i had a load of verbal.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My apologies, "Paddington Station 24/7 " would explain it . Long story, I assumed after the massive debate on here, everyone had seen it.
Unfortunately the last thing you'd want to watch after spending 12 hours+ each day involved with the railway is to watch a railway programme. :E

satisnek

Saw this done at Reading many years ago (on the old Platform 4). A drunken hooray henry (who had presumably been to Ascot for the day) had boarded the wrong HST, realised his mistake and somersaulted out of the window after the doors had been locked. No harm done - drunken hooray henrys are made of rubber :lol:

BurtonM

hqdefault.jpg

'Do not lean out of the window'.

'I wonder why?'

hqdefault.jpg

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Unless you're in a coach next the power car, you're always only a couple of metres from another door on an HST if the one you try won't open. Open that, and the train is definitely not going to be moved until it gets closed.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where is the rule stating "proper" use of a door? Dukes of hazard showed me through the window is the way ....... Your honour..

No sane person will deem dragging oneself through a train window as "proper" use.

Exactly - why do we even need signage to tell us not to do it - common sense should be suffice!

pdeaves

Established Member
I remember reading in InterCity days at, I believe, York, a famous athlete (can't remember who) boarded a moving train through the open window. Took a run and dived (dove?) through...

Established Member
I've seen this done quite a few years ago not long after Central Locking was introduced, the train wasn't moving, the platform staff looked surprised but didn't say much.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My dad has seen this happen at Milton Keynes back in the late 1990s. My dad was on the platform watching a Southbound Virgin service leave and a guy first threw his bag out of the window (while the train was moving) and then dove out of the window himself. BTP were on him like a flash.

Dhassell

Someone tried jumping out the window of a HST that I was on leaving Swindon a year or two back. TM gave the one bell to the driver and we ground to a halt. I believe the guard reopened the doors to let him out, as it wasn't worth the risk of him jumping out.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Is pulling the alarm, due to getting on wrong train, missing a stop etc a legitimate reason?

What would get you in most trouble? Pulling the alarm (which warns about penalty for misuse) or getting off by any mean possible (for which there isn't any warning and you can argue your case)

There's an option which wouldn't get you into any trouble, which is to stay on the train having made your mistake.

Steveman

Commonplace, I have seen it quite a few times, it used to be a bit more common years ago, done it myself twice.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm semi serious. I wouldn't take the risk of the train departing!
don't be silly now.

Is pulling the alarm, due to getting on wrong train, missing a stop etc a legitimate reason?

What would get you in most trouble? Pulling the alarm (which warns about penalty for misuse) or getting off by any mean possible (for which there isn't any warning and you can argue your case)
well - I doubt death is a risk from pulling the cord!

No argument about it, agreed , but no stickered warning for it threatening penalty. "theoretically" climbing out is fine.

Goodness me - it is fairly obvious that bailing out of the window is not:

a) sensible
or
b) what a window is designed for ( unless it is the General Lee)

highspeed990

I would only do it if I REALLY needed to, say I needed to catch a flight. Otherwise I wouldn't, I could be dragged through the platform after all.

highspeed990

I wouldn't do it even then. it would be incredibly stupid.
Yes but, I'd have no other option. Most likely though, unless I was at the end of a queue, I could go to the other door. And even then I could try asking some platform staff.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes but, I'd have no other option. Most likely though, unless I was at the end of a queue, I could go to the other door. And even then I could try asking some platform staff.

But you do have another option. Stay on the train. That should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of common sense.

Established Member
Jesus wept. If you genuinely think that's acceptable then may I suggest you never go out without a carer for everyone's sake.

Chris M

There's an option which wouldn't get you into any trouble, which is to stay on the train having made your mistake.
That depends on what you mean by "trouble". If you don't have a valid ticket for the train then you will likely get a penalty fare and then have to find some way of getting to your intended destination from the next station the train calls at. You may also be in trouble for missing whatever it was you were travelling to.
I would suggest that this is going to be significantly less trouble than would likely be the result of exiting through a train window (doubly so if the train is moving) but there is a difference between less trouble and no trouble.

highspeed990

Well lots of people have done it, some people have different requirements for what justifies such an action though.For me, a flight would do it.

Established Member
What is wrong with people? How many minutes do you actually need to alight from the train? Most HSTs are in a platform for approx 2 to 3 minutes, as that is how long it takes a dispatcher to walk from one end of the train to the other and yet people still get off from coach A and leave the door open whilst your just starting the dispatch procedure from coach L. The amount of times you do this and after the train doors are locked they then attempt to alight.

We see enough stupidity from people as it without those in the know doing it. I for one will be glad when the class 800 trains are fully in service, once the doors are closed that will be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.