• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences of Network Rail Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I had a rejection e-mail from them today after submitting an application on Monday for a current vacancy. I'm a bit miffed about it because I spent a good couple of hours answering two competency based questions and I sent them an up to date CV, cover letter and details of my references. This is the fifth application in just a few months were Network have rejected me within days of sending the application and on two occasions the job deadline hadn't even passed!?!?!

Normally, the other TOCs take weeks to come back with an update and you at least feel their recruitment team have taken time to assess your skills and compare you against other candidates before reaching their decisions.

One of the NR jobs I was rejected for at first base was a 19k office clerk and without blowing my own trumpet I been in the police for 15 years and prior to that I worked in IT for a local council.

I hope I don't come across like I'm having a rant but I'm just very taken back by NRs robust recruitment style. It almost feels like I'm on a Network Rail naughty list.

The purpose of my contribution to the thread was just to see what experiences other members have had with Network Rail's recruitment.

Regards

C J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MT18

Sorry to hear this, unfortunately it may just come down to more suitable candidates elsewhere, also if there is enough applicants for a job they may take it down before the deadline. This may explain why you are receiving unsuccessful notifications before the actual deadline when the job was posted.

I was lucky enough to get a job with my 3rd application, I know you probably won’t want to hear this but keep trying you never know.

Stigy

Established Member
NWR do sift applications quite quickly from my experience. It is probably just down to sheer number of applications I’d imagine. Could it be something as simple as the distance you live from the advertised post? If you’re further away than 90% of the other applicants it’s easy to sift you out earlier.

D5581

I once applied to NR, got through to an interview to then find out I didn't get the job - fine as thats the way it goes.
However, i then find out a year later through a mutual contact that said job i applied to was only opened up to move a graduate from another depot.
Wasn't best pleased to find that out.

MA8141

From my experience, i applied for any and every job that I fitted the criteria for, having just left the forces and their commitment to hiring ex armed forces personnel, i didn’t even see an interview. From talking to others, it’s normally the contractors who get the first shouts at any vacancies, it is what it is I guess !

ChrisRS

I had the same issue however this was down to my SHL test scores being under the required bench mark. Applied for vacancies, was rejected a few days later. I'm not sure if an office clerk role requires the SHL testing? But that was my issue.

I have since redone the SHL test with a higher score above benchmark and managed to get a job after my first application.

CJK64

I once applied to NR, got through to an interview to then find out I didn't get the job - fine as thats the way it goes.
However, i then find out a year later through a mutual contact that said job i applied to was only opened up to move a graduate from another depot.
Wasn't best pleased to find that out.

If that’s the case then the job should have been advertised with preferred candidate in mind.

A job cannot be offered to anyone without it being advertised to a wider audience, but if it is earmarked for an individual the advert should say so.
An easy way to get round it is to put an advert on for one day only and then close it once the preferred candidate has applied. That way no policies are broken as there is no time scale that a vacancy has to be advertised for.

CJK64

From my experience, i applied for any and every job that I fitted the criteria for, having just left the forces and their commitment to hiring ex armed forces personnel, i didn’t even see an interview. From talking to others, it’s normally the contractors who get the first shouts at any vacancies, it is what it is I guess !

That in fact is the case as they come ready trained with an array of relevant competencies.
However, ex forces are also an attractive option so I’d say keep trying.

BloominMan

Hello CJ.

Happened to me this week too. Ten years railway experience with PTS and I didn't even get an interview after passing all the assessments.

Keep trying I suppose. Best of luck in your future applications.

Rockhopper

You are just one of sometimes many hundreds applying for railway jobs, 65 for a grade one job near me, over 10,000 for a London Underground job recently!

Rockhopper

You are just one of many hundreds applying for railway jobs, 65 for a grade one job near me, over 10,000 for a London Underground job recently!

Chumba

I think you just have to keep at it ! I applied for 10 signaller posts over the last 2 years. Each application used the exact same CV, same answers to the 70 questions, same test scores. I was rejected 5 times (better candidate or just unsuccessful) I had 5 interviews, (one interview they had 85 applications for the job) I came 2nd twice and was the reserve candidate. Finally last interview I had I was successful and offered the job :lol: I learnt from the failed interviews and tweaked my answers for the next interview.

So keep going you'll get there one day.

The One

I do think and stress the word think when you apply for these vacancies they are computer generated and look for specific words I’m sure you will get there in the end and when you least expect it can I ask as seen you on the posts a lot what type of position you are after Keep you hopes up if determine to find career in the railway it will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.