• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences of visiting Frankfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

Has anybody been here? I found the people the rudest I have been anywhere in Europe. I was lost and had to catch my last train and the taxi driver wasn’t too happy we couldn’t find the station. I went to the Main tower and was turned away because I never had a table reservation.

By contrast Berlin is the most friendly city anywhere in Europe I was at the airport looking lost wasn’t sure if it was the right train and the driver actually came out to help us.

I think some places in the UK are rude aswell I wonder if it’s common in Frankfurt? I got the impression they dislike tourists even in the tourist shops at the old town. I was in the shopping mall and the guy came over and made me delete a photo I took of the mall architecture maybe he worried I took a picture of him?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I loved Frankfurt when we went - didnt find any rudeness there. Some places we went were very welcoming. Didnt do much on the train was mainly trams

alex397

Established Member
A bit of a broad statement really

People say Londoners are the rudest in the UK, which to some extent is true. It can be quite a soulless place sometimes. Yet I've had some great conservations with people and I've found some people really helpful. Strangers have even said hello to me - it's true!

I've stayed in Frankfurt and didn't notice anyone being rude to me. It's not exactly known for tourism and more known for business - a lot of people have probably had a long stressful day at work!
I sat along the Main river drinking a glass of Frankfurt Cider (apfelwein) - people seemed to be having a good time and I had some conservations with people. I wouldn't try to talk to anyone around the hauptbahnhof though - a tad seedy around there! Seemed like a perfectly good city to me though, although I'd recommend other German cities to visit first.

Gadget88

A bit of a broad statement really

People say Londoners are the rudest in the UK, which to some extent is true. It can be quite a soulless place sometimes. Yet I've had some great conservations with people and I've found some people really helpful. Strangers have even said hello to me - it's true!

I've stayed in Frankfurt and didn't notice anyone being rude to me. It's not exactly known for tourism and more known for business - a lot of people have probably had a long stressful day at work!
I sat along the Main river drinking a glass of Frankfurt Cider (apfelwein) - people seemed to be having a good time and I had some conservations with people. I wouldn't try to talk to anyone around the hauptbahnhof though - a tad seedy around there! Seemed like a perfectly good city to me though, although I'd recommend other German cities to visit first.

Cool I’m visiting Berlin by train soon I usually fly. Was going to stay in Hannover or Dortmund? Are they suitable? I find cologne and Düsseldorf very friendly too just bad experience with Frankfurt.

Quakkerillo

Never had an issue in Frankfurt whatsoever! I've been there a few times; 3 times changing trains, once changing buses, and once being there for a long weekend.
Taxi drivers in general are a very different kind of person from the general crowd, so any unpleasantness might be more down to him than to the general German / Frankfurter.
And I don't know what you mean with the Main tower reservation; but Germans are very organised. If it's a booking-only restaurant, they probably have advertised that in various places, and thought you a bit silly that you hadn't looked that up.
And the thing about photographing; Germany has *very* strict data privacy laws. Photographs of people, or even car license plates have very many issues. Also hardly any CCTV compared to the UK for the same reason (although after the Berlin Christmas market attack, things are changing). There's also much less WiFi there than in the UK for similar issues. So on this, I can confirm that Germans can be very tricky regarding privacy and their photos being taken, although the younger (smartphone) generation has much less issue with it than some older people.

farci

My experience in Frankfurt is similar to alex397 especially drinking on the riverbank in the Summer and having good food and drinks in Sachsenhausen. But as Quakkerillo says it's a business town with constant trade fairs and crowds of visitors for 2-3 days on 'other people's money' so quality and service suffer. If you use the same judgement as in other countries Germany is no different.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've visited Frankfurt several times and have found it no different to any German city such as Hamburg, Dusseldorf or Munich.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Cool I’m visiting Berlin by train soon I usually fly. Was going to stay in Hannover or Dortmund? Are they suitable? I find cologne and Düsseldorf very friendly too just bad experience with Frankfurt.

Dortmund ist likely to be cheaper than Hannover.
From a tourist perspective, neither are very exciting.
Mind you Dortmund has a football museum and an art gallerie in a former brewery ( Dortmunder U), as well ad a brewery museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.