• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experimental tram controls (VAMBAC/EP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9016

I was reading about the three ex Leeds trams 600-602. 602 having VAMBAC (Variable Automatic Multinotch Braking And Control) fitted.

601 apparently had something called EP system, can anyone confirm what this is? Is it similar to the controls on Centenary trams or another version of VAMBAC?

I presume 600 had Series-Parallel system (like English Electric Z6).

Thanks,
LH.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Would EP in this context be Electro Pneumatic - like the control system on railway locomotives?

Incidentally all three were preserved, but 601 was vandalised at the Middleton Railway. 600 is at Clay Cross and 602 at Crich where it sees occasional use.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Would EP in this context be Electro Pneumatic - like the control system on railway locomotives?

Yes, that is what EP stands for in this case. I'm not familiar with railway control gear, but with trams the controller in the cab is basically a remote control with all of the switches and contactors housed elsewhere - under the stairs on double deckers, and I believe in the roof tower on Leeds 601. It uses air to change those as required. A very rudimentary description but I confess I'm not that up on it myself! :oops:

VAMBAC stands for Variable Automatic Multinotch Braking and Acceleration Control - in this case a lever in the cab controls a large drum full of contactors in the tower with all braking and acceleration controlled electrically. As well as being used experimentally on 602 it was also used in production on Blackpool's Coronation cars (of which 304 survives in Blackpool, currently out of service) and the rebuilt Marton VAMBAC trams, of which 11 is in happy preservation at the East Anglian Transport Museum. Indeed, Channel 4's 'Salvage Squad' programme covered the restoration of Coronation 304 and there is a fuller explanation of the VAMBAC gear in there (First part).

Incidentally all three were preserved, but 601 was vandalised at the Middleton Railway. 600 is at Clay Cross and 602 at Crich where it sees occasional use.

602 hasn't been used for nearly ten years now, and is extremely unlikely to see use again without a major overhaul. The VAMBAC equipment was notoriously unreliable in service and in preservation (often losing all power - meaning no brakes!) and this, coupled with other defects, has led to the car's withdrawal. As mentioned above, though 11 is fully operational at the EATM with a fully overhauled VAMBAC system - it's said to work better now than it did in service!

601 was actually one of the few trams at Middleton to not get vandalised! It was, instead - and perhaps even more tragically - ravaged by a fire believed to have been caused by a stray cigarette from a visiting enthusiast, although of course it's unlikely that the 'real' reason will ever be known.

600 is indeed in the TMS' store at Clay Cross. It does have 'traditional' controllers (I can't remember the exact type off the top of my head, it's been a couple of years since I was at Clay Cross) and in fact originally hails from Sunderland, where it was numbered 85 and also an experimental vehicle. It moved to Clay Cross in 2005 and, again, is expected to stay there for the foreseeable future having no place in the Museum's current operational fleet as well as numerous defects. The interior is also still in excellent, as-withdrawn condition and there is an argument for preserving and conserving it as-is, rather than restoring the tram.

HTH.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
Thank you for the detail bluegoblin7. Did I see Leeds 602 run a couple of trips at the launch of Leeds 345 or am I mistaken?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes, that is what EP stands for in this case. I'm not familiar with railway control gear, but with trams the controller in the cab is basically a remote control with all of the switches and contactors housed elsewhere - under the stairs on double deckers, and I believe in the roof tower on Leeds 601. It uses air to change those as required. A very rudimentary description but I confess I'm not that up on it myself! :oops:

I don't think you intended it to, but this suggests that all trams are as you describe. In fact most "heritage" trams had/have the contactors inside the controller, operated mechanically by the driver moving the handle. As far as I know more sophisticated control systems were very much the exception, widespread in the US (PCC cars) but in the UK limited to the classes mentioned in this discussion plus a few others (some of the Glasgow ones I think?).

Trains do indeed have the switches and contactors worked remotely, not least because there can be several sets in a train all worked from the same controls.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I don't think you intended it to, but this suggests that all trams are as you describe. In fact most "heritage" trams had/have the contactors inside the controller, operated mechanically by the driver moving the handle. As far as I know more sophisticated control systems were very much the exception, widespread in the US (PCC cars) but in the UK limited to the classes mentioned in this discussion plus a few others (some of the Glasgow ones I think?).

Sorry, having a re-read it does suggest that. As you say, only a very limited number of vehicles had EP gear with the majority having mechanically worked 'traditional' controllers, as described under Leeds 600 above.

The Glasgow Coronations and Cunarders had EP gear, as did the Liverpool Green Goddesses. Beyond those, the majority of vehicles had the more traditional types, until you start to get into more modern control systems such as Chopper control on Blackpool's Centenary and Jubilee cars (dating from the 80s and 70s respectively.).

d9016

Thanks for the info, do chopper controls use transistors or is that a different type of system altogether?

Thanks,
LH.

Taunton

Established Member
The system sounds similar to the PCC, which was developed in the USA in the 1930s. The PCC designs were heavily protected by patents, so others had to find a way around these. There were two main variants, the immediate-prewar cars were "air-electric", which used air for some control and braking functions, while the postwar cars were "all -electric", which eliminated the air compressor completely and did it all with electric control, although the earlier cars had always done some braking rheostatically.

Not all PCC cars were controlled with pedals, some operators asked for hand controls instead.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info, do chopper controls use transistors or is that a different type of system altogether?

Thanks,
LH.

Chopper control certainly uses some form of semiconductor but I think it is thyristors rather than transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.