• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

expert contols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainspotmatt

hi all, i was just wondering if anyone knows which of the many steam dlc routes and locos need to be driven with expert control so i can avoid them as i really don't like using expert controls (personal preference). I purchased the WCML North add on because of the class 86 and can't for the life of me drive the thing :( and i am running out of scenarios to complete with the add ons i have so im looking to purchase some more add ons hopefully without the need to be expert control only :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Learning to drive locomotives such as the 86 properly can be very rewarding.

I'd suggest to persevere with it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have to say the 86 is a pain to drive, it's good once you get it going don't get me wrong but it's the way that it can just die to an unrecoverable condition. I did the main 86 scenario (the one from the outskirts of Carlisle all the way to Glasgow Central) and everything was going fine until I got held at a signal outside Motherwell, once the signal cleared I accidentally opened the taps up full and before I realized mistake overloaded the loco and that was it, end of the line! About an hour and a half's worth of driving for nowt!

But having said that it's still a good loco to drive you just have to be careful with it (perhaps much like the real locomotives :lol:).

Crossover

Established Member
It isn't unrecoverable once the 86 gets overloaded, you just have to go through a reset cycle to get going again. Due to the fact my laptop doesn't have enough memory for the WCML route, I have only driven it once on a friends PC but I actually managed to coax the 86 to work (more than my friend managed I think :P)

Also, for situations like that, save is useful :P

Personally, ever since getting the game, I have driven with expert controls, else I get bored with nothing to do in some places :P
Also (although not recommended for mainline driving :P) it means I don't have to be paying attention to it too much with the warning coming from AWS hehe

jon91

The idea with the Class 86 is to keep an eye on the Ammeter when applying power and to try and keep the needle out of the red.

It's a tricky beggar but the 86 is one of the more rewarding locos to drive I think.

Crossover

Established Member
Believe me I tried that but it was having none of it!

I had a few problems with resetting it, but I think I may have been doing it too quickly initially, and it takes a while before it takes power again.

Need to get sorted so I can play it again I think

Trainspotmatt

can i drive the class 76 included with the woodhead line DLC without expert control because im thinking of getting it?

same for settle to Carlisle DLC is there any expert only drivable trains (i really hate expert control lol).

Darandio

Established Member
No, not everything is driveable in non-expert because of the scripting involved.

Woodhead, not sure, I cannot remember off the top of my head. As it has slight similar characteristics to the 86, it may well be expert only.

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for that Darandio - I stand corrected (you can tell I don't use non-expert mode can't you? :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.