• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired railcard by 1 day

Status
Not open for further replies.

QANN93

A good result. Just be more careful in future as we have one case ongoing where a passenger has been reported for prosecution for an expired railcard - that said it expired in November so understandable!

I do wonder why we can't be like Deutsche Bahn and have a temporary railcard you can print off, valid for a few weeks until the proper one arrives? Of course the RDG's answer is the consumer unfriendly 'digital railcard' which requires a compatible device running proprietary software and undermines your rights if their own technology doesn't work.
Yes .very good result. their reasoning was I obviously wasn't trying to fleece the system and a new railcard was purchased straight after my old one expired.

And yes, I do agree that would be a good idea, it should be valid in some form as soon as it is purchased.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
And yes, I do agree that would be a good idea, it should be valid in some form as soon as it is purchased.

For the benefit of anyone who stumbles on to this thread, you can do exactly that if you get the digital version i.e. the one on your phone, or go to a ticket office to buy a paper one.

So it seems to me that while the railway eventually made the right decision in this case, it would be open to the railway to argue that if someone wanted a railcard to start right now they could have used either of the above ways of getting a railcard for today.

jumble

Yes .very good result. their reasoning was I obviously wasn't trying to fleece the system and a new railcard was purchased straight after my old one expired.

Of course at the moment you were stopped the railcard issuers had possession of the money for the card so I think it would be very harsh to charge you again ( although legal !).

furlong

Established Member
it would be open to the railway to argue that if someone wanted a railcard to start right now they could have used either of the above ways of getting a railcard for today.

But the railway has to tell people that! It's no good selling a paper one online without first giving a clear warning that if you need to travel immediately you should obtain one through an alternative identified method. It's this "joined up" thinking that's so lacking on the consumer side of the railway today. The situation described in this thread should never have arisen if the railway was doing its job properly!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
But the railway has to tell people that! It's no good selling a paper one online without first giving a clear warning that if you need to travel immediately you should obtain one through an alternative identified method.

I suppose this isn't clear enough for you?
https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/where-to-buy/
Digital Railcard: if you buy a digital Railcard, you'll be sent a code and once you download the Railcard app and upload the card onto your phone, you can start using it straight away.

Physical Railcard: we aim to dispatch your Railcard within one working day of you ordering it, but it’s probably best to allow up to five working days for your Railcard to arrive. ...You’ll need to have your Railcard with you to be able to get a discount on your rail ticket, so be sure to leave enough time before your journey for the Railcard to reach you.

furlong

Established Member
I suppose this isn't clear enough for you?/
Obviously not, as you have to go hunting to find that page (and even then it's a misleading explanation) - you're not forced to acknowledge it before clicking 'BUY' or 'RENEW' - and the point here is we have a class of consumers who don't even consider there could be such a problem so there needs to be a clear warning during the transaction if the railway wants to be sure it can enforce such a condition on that class of users. The explanation there only says you need it to get the discount - which is false if you buy the ticket online or from a TVM - it does not tell you that you can't use a discounted ticket until the railcard arrives.

najaB

Veteran Member
.... so there needs to be a clear warning during the transaction if the railway wants to be sure it can enforce such a condition on that class of users.
I seem to remember that ignorance of the law is not an excuse, or something to that effects. There's not that much "hunting" involved - the link to the T&C document (which states that you have to be in physical possession of the card to use it) is presented during the purchase process, of someone chooses to click on it or not is entirely up to them.

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Disappointing* that people are arguing against a simple change which would make things 100% clear. A message could easily be presented when buying a railcard online that if you are travelling within the next xx days you should either purchase a digital railcard or go to a staffed station and purchase a paper one.

* but not a surprise - some argue continually on here that 'the railway' should not change the way it does anything as the current way of doing things must always be the best way.

najaB

Veteran Member
Disappointing* that people are arguing against a simple change which would make things 100% clear.
Nobody is arguing against making a change, just pointing out that the T&C's already make it clear that you have to have a physical card in your possession to use it.

Plus, unless things have changed, the paperwork accompanying the original Railcard tells you to renew in good time.

There was a time when someone, falling foul of clearly stated rules would say "Oh well, silly me." These days it's always someone else's fault for "not telling me."

Veteran Member
Disappointing* that people are arguing against a simple change which would make things 100% clear. A message could easily be presented when buying a railcard online that if you are travelling within the next xx days you should either purchase a digital railcard or go to a staffed station and purchase a paper one.

* but not a surprise - some argue continually on here that 'the railway' should not change the way it does anything as the current way of doing things must always be the best way.

Some of us argue that the present procedure is fit for purpose. To finish my earlier quote (perhaps someone has been reading the forum and updated it over the weekend? :) )

Travelling today? You’re better off buying a digital Railcard or over the counter at a staffed National Rail station

furlong

Established Member
To finish my earlier quote (perhaps someone has been reading the forum and updated it over the weekend? :) )

That didn't apply to the OP who not "travelling today" but rather "travelling tomorrow".

farleigh

Nobody is arguing against making a change, just pointing out that the T&C's already make it clear that you have to have a physical card in your possession to use it.

Plus, unless things have changed, the paperwork accompanying the original Railcard tells you to renew in good time.

There was a time when someone, falling foul of clearly stated rules would say "Oh well, silly me." These days it's always someone else's fault for "not telling me."
There was a time when people were not routinely prosecuted for genuine errors. These days we have to blame somebody and punish them as that makes the world a better place.

island

Veteran Member
Quoted for emphasis.

js1000

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I contacted the train company through someone i know that works for them, and they have agreed to waiver the fee upon sending proof of the date i bought my new railcard. Guess discretion can be used. Thanks again
I see the black and white brigade are out an no doubt they lead faultless, perfect lives.
Indeed. Good job he didn't listen to them. Apparently there was nothing to "contest"

Status
Not open for further replies.