• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired RTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I'm only posting this as I couldn't find an answer using search.

I suspect that's because the answer is a resounding no but no harm in asking.

I have two rail travel vouchers worth approximately £55 in total. I was issued them for a delayed journey on East Coast.

I put them in a safe place and, naturally, only found them three years after expiry.

Is there any way to have these reissued, perhaps if I go on a charm offensive? If that fails, or I am not sufficiently charming, is there any argument I can make about the NRCoC not stipulating an expiry period for delay compensation?

Or, am I better off starting a new thread aimed at collectors of expired RTVs seeking the ultra-rare 2010 versions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Contact East Coast and see if they will apply discretion. I have no idea what they will say though.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah you're going to have to throw yourself on the mercy of Customer Services I would have said. If you had a better reason than simply forgetfulness they might be more willing to re-issue but after three years it will need to be one hell of a reason!

455driver

Veteran Member
About the only 'reason' I can think of is that you were involved in a serious car accident and have just come out of a 3 year coma, other than that I would think the answer would be "tough", if they meant so little to you that you just threw them in a drawer why should EC re-issue them?

£55 is quite a bit of money and I cant think of many people who would just throw it to one side!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
About the only 'reason' I can think of is that you were involved in a serious car accident and have just come out of a 3 year coma

Yeah I was trying to think of reasons why I would re-issue after three years and this was about the only one I came up with that I would be willing to do it for :lol:

SandsofEss

Oh rest assured they were much lamented, and only given up on after a fine-tooth comb search. Why I ever considered the inside cover of a recently read book a good 'safe' place I don't know.

I'll throw myself on the mercy of our new overlords at Virgin, and prepare to face rejection.

Established Member
If they say no, while its Virgin, send them a couple of complex questions that they won't be able to be bothered answering and you'll get RTVs for 'Your disappointing experience':D:D:D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah the old 'safe place is a bit too safe' problem. I've had this myself before. Though never to this extreme!

Good luck :)

Flamingo

Established Member
I recently found a gift voucher for Travellodge that was over 20 years old. It was a wedding present. I don't think I'll get them to cash it in, somehow! I didn't tell the current Mrs Flamingo!

gray1404

Established Member
write back to them and enclose the vouchers in there. explain to them that you are not a regular rail user etc... I think it might be easier for them to say no by email, where as if it is a physical letter with only a postal address as a contact and they are holding the actual voucher they might be more likely to just re-issue. No promises though and yes, prepare for a no, but as always, don't ask don't get.

I had a delay on Northern today, I was traveling on a free travel pass and I was unhappy that I'd been given incorrect information by station staff. It was not the easiest of phone calls to make (as we know on here, some TOCs customer relations are more friendly then others) but by the end of it, and a phone call to the control centre on Northern's part and a phone call back to me, they are sending me a free day pass for Northern in the post.

SandsofEss

Hello All,

Thought I'd give you a quick update.

As of this morning, VTEC has agreed to issue me with £25-worth of RTVs.

It's less a gesture because of my cock-up, and more a gesture because their initial response to me erroneously cited the NRCoC as tying their hands - much in the same way "Health and Safety" is used to avoid having to just say "No".

Thanks for all the advice. I'll now be filing these replacements in a less safe place.

philjo

Established Member
I have just had a similar find - came across an envelope today containing a voucher for £13 issued to me by FCC for a delay due to bad weather in January 2013. I assume as FCC no longer exist that I won't be able to use this now?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I have just had a similar find - came across an envelope today containing a voucher for £13 issued to me by FCC for a delay due to bad weather in January 2013. I assume as FCC no longer exist that I won't be able to use this now?

You won't be able to use them. But Thameslink/GN may, at their discretion decide to reissue it if you send it back with a nice letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.