• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Explore Wales Passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover

The Arriva Trains website states that these passes cannot be bought from conductors on trains, can anyone say whether this is correct or an error please?

Thanks
Kev

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I purchased one late last year from onboard a conductor on XC when boarding at Lydney with my Y-P discount it was a Explore South Wales, I don't think they are allowed to be sold-on board, but the guard said he could do it.

Rover

Thanks for that.
So it's possible to sell them on the train like any other rover ticket. So if you ask for one from a conductor whether it's an ATW train or any other, can they refuse to sell you one, or are they obliged to sell you the ticket you request?

Established Member
Some companies such as Northern, Arriva Trains Wales and Scotrail appear to have local instructions telling guards not to sell them and giving reasons such as the boxes (where applicable) won't print or not to sell them to prevent the risk of fraud but it's perfectly possible for them to be sold from an Avantix Mobile ticket machine.

Ironically 158757 bought one from Virgin Trains at Manchester Piccadilly where the boxes printed incorrectly (following the introduction of their new TIS) and he bought a new one onboard ATW and applied for a full refund on Virgin Trains bought rover. In that instance I think he got 4 Date boxes for a 3in7, if i recall correctly .

Last edited:

Rover

Thanks.
I understand now, 1 day or 7 day tickets are fine it's the self-dating tickets that can be a problem.

Established Member
7 Day tickets are included in the above. The fraud that they seem to be worried about is card fraud when purchasing them rather than fraud relating to the date boxes from what I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.