• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exploring NI Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on rover/ranger tickets available on NI Railways please? I cant seem to find anything on the Translink website or after google searches.

Any suggestions on the best fares to cover the maximum area across Northern Ireland would be greatly welcomed.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An iLink will be your best bet. It's available in daily, weekly and monthly versions and depending on which zones you buy is valid on all Translink rail and bus services within those zones (with zone 4 covering all of NI). It can be bought online and posted out to you before you travel.

A group of us went to NI last year and we used a one-day Zone 4 iLink for travel.

There is a leaflet on it here and the Translink website has a page on it here.

najaB

Veteran Member
Any suggestions on the best fares to cover the maximum area across Northern Ireland would be greatly welcomed.
On Sundays you can get a ticket that covers all trains and buses, can't remember what it's called at the moment though.

Edit: Maybe it's not available any more.... had a look on Translink's website.

Last edited:

Flying Snail

Established Member
On Sundays you can get a ticket that covers all trains and buses, can't remember what it's called at the moment though.

Edit: Maybe it's not available any more.... had a look on Translink's website.

It is.

http://www.translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/Sunday-Day-Tracker/

£9.

There is also a Sunday bus rambler at the same price that is also available on school holidays weekdays only after 9.15 am, the same does not appear to be true of the rail ticket.

Strangely for a smartcard the iLink is restricted to the zone it is issued for.

Last edited:

bangor-toad

Hi there,
There are two practical options for unlimited travel around here.

The first is the £9 Sunday only train ticket.
This is great value but if you look at a map you'll see that the NI railway system is pretty limited. It's effectively four branches coming out of Belfast - easy to plan "out and back" trips along but impossible to get creative with. It's OK but it's on Sunday's only...

The second is the £16.50 Zone 4 iLink card. That covers you for every bit of public transport in NI. (It's far simpler here - there's none of that privatisation, franchises or competition. All trains, buses and coaches are operated by the State through Translink.)
With this you can get to many of the places that the railway doesn't go using the Goldline coaches. Or get the train one way and the coach across to somewhere else.
Oh, there's no peak restriction on this - use it as soon as wake up and wander to the station.

Personally I'd recommend the Zone 4 iLink card. It's great value, easy to use and lets you get pretty much anywhere. I suggest this to anyone who comes to visit me who wants to get about without a car.
If it's sunny (it does occasionally happen!) come to Bangor and get a Maud's ice-cream. Well worth it!

Cheers,
Mr Toad
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh - I forgot a really important tip:

If you ever find what you are looking for on the Translink website, print it or bookmark it immediately!
That website is amazing in it's ability to prevent you from ever finding the same information twice. :D

Mr Toad

Good morning - thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions. That's a fantastic help. It looks like Mr Toad suggests the Zone 4 iLink is the best deal to suit me. Thank you all again - I really appreciate your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.