• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exploring what is possibly the world's first railway tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Hog Hill Tunnel is on the Stanhope and Tyne Railway's very steep Crawleyside Incline climbing north out of Stanhope.
I can't comment on the tunnel being the worlds first, but the date over the southern portal is 1833, and the railway opened the following year. I found that the hand-held camera was shaking around so much that the video was unenjoyable to watch and wonder if a series of still pictures might have been clearer if camera stabilisation wasn't available.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I fear that Tyler Hill tunnel on the Canterbury and Whitstable railway, opened in 1830 is older.

Then there's Strood tunnel, which still carries trains, although to be fair, it was originally built for a canal in 1828 I believe.

Last edited:

Bill EWS

the Dundee & Newtyle Railway opened, partly in 1831 with the Law Tunnel through the Dundee Law opening in 1832.

Status
Not open for further replies.