• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extended connection times for people who need longer to change trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanD

Established Member
I'm introducing my 75 year old mother to the joys of split ticketing on advances. I've booked the following for her:

Milton Keynes Central 1150 to Manchester Piccadilly 1328
Manchetser Piccadilly 1357 to Leeds 1452.

I've allowed 29 minutes connection time at Piccadilly even though the minimum time is 10 as she doesn't want to have to rush as she is not always too steady on her feet (otherwise I would have booked on the Leeds train at 1342).

If the first train is delayed but still arrives in Manchester within the 10 minute minimum connection time but my mother misses the connection because she takes too long to get from one train to the other, would she then have to buy another ticket to Leeds? Or would the original allowed connection time be taken in to consideration?

She has reservations in coach A for the first leg so hopefully that will be near the buffers at Piccadilly platform 7 so it should be quite an easy change as I believe the TPE service usually departs from platform 3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you are delayed whilst travelling and that delay causes you to miss a connection, you may take the next available train provided you have allowed at least the minimum connection time. Staff should be taking into account the mobility of the passenger, so I would say yes they should allow travel on the next service. If she goes to use station facilities, she might not be in such a fortunate position though.

Coach A is the standard class quiet coach which should be at the front of a northbound Pendolino.

If she is worried about getting from one train to the other you could book assistance as I believe they have a vehicle at Piccadilly for that sort of thing.

Departures can change platforms at short notice and so she should check which platform to go to either by asking staff or looking at the departure boards.

Flamingo

Established Member
Just to add, I would say that she should book assistance, as if there is any delays due to the assistance not being immediately available then she would have a much stronger case for travelling on the next available service (and someone there who could organise it with the minimum of hassle).

IanD

Established Member
Thank for the advice. I'll suggest she books assistance but she may be reluctant to do so. Would that be through Virgin, from the first service, or TPE, to the second service or Network Rail, the operators of Piccadilly?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'd suggest Virgin trains or TPE, it shouldn't really matter which, I imagine NRES could sort it out also.

exile

Established Member
There must be many people who are slow walkers but not actually in need of assistance.

Aictos

Established Member
I'd suggest Virgin trains or TPE, it shouldn't really matter which, I imagine NRES could sort it out also.

If you would like assistance when making a journey, such as help getting on or off a train, or ramps for a wheelchair, please contact the Train Company that manages the station*you are starting your journey from. If you journey involves a*Network Rail station please contact the Train Company you are starting your journey with. Please try and give a minimum of 24 hours notice before your journey as this will allow time for any special arrangements to be made. If this is not possible the Train Companies will still do their best to help, but cannot guarantee to provide their normal level of service.

Assisted Travel contact details can be found in the "Support and Information" section of the appropriate Train Company page. If you are unsure of which Train Company you need, look at our Stations and Destinations page and enter the name or three letter code of the station you are starting from. These pages also show details of the facilities available at a station.*

Therefore as your mother is starting her journey with Virgin Trains, National Rail Enquires suggests you book any assistance with them and as your mother is using First Transpennine Express to Leeds, the assistance should be in the computer system so staff from both TOCs should be prepared to offer the assistance.

Virgin Trains Assist Travel is manned 7 days a week between 08:00 and 22:00 on this telephone number: 08457 443366

I hope this provides to be useful and your mother has a enjoyable journey :)

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for the advice.

My mother falls into exile's the 'slow walker' category which is why she may be reluctant to seek assistance. However, she also falls in to the same 'tight Yorkshire git' category as myself so may swallow her pride if it could mean not having to get a new ticket.

She's quite chuffed that she can get back from Milton Keynes to Bradford this way for £12 rather than the £60 return she was originally quoted. She has a £7.60 ticket from Bradford to Wellingborough to get her here in the first place.

She's also hoping for some sort of delay (as on her recent trip to Baldock) now that she knows you can claim some money back if delayed. Well, maybe not actually hoping but at least she won't be bothered so much.

She's now spreading the word amongst her friends on split ticketing and delay repay and (no doubt) 'free' assistance will be added to this if she takes it up!

34D

Established Member
She's also hoping for some sort of delay (as on her recent trip to Baldock) now that she knows you can claim some money back if delayed. Well, maybe not actually hoping but at least she won't be bothered so much.

Made me chuckle!!

JoeGJ1984

Hmmm, it says "...please contact the Train Company that manages the station*you are starting your journey from." This perhaps should be London Midland as they Manage Milton Keynes Central.

calc7

Established Member
To the OP, the Virgin booth at Piccadilly is very good at authorising tickets for onward travel in the event of delays.

My sister (child) was using a walk-up ticket to get to Manchester for an onward Advance ticket to London Euston. The TPE service arrived into Piccadilly right as the Virgin train left. No more than five minutes later and she'd already had her ticket endorsed and was boarding the train departing 20 minutes later to Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.