• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extending a Britrail England pass to travel to Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ737

Hi there

Just ordered a Britrail England pass for my trip this year, but will need to travel to & from Cardiff a couple of times.

Can the guard/conductor issue Pilning-Cardiff & vice versa tickets, and does the train need to stop at Pilning?

Any advice welcomed :)

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
If you were to combine your Britrail with Pilning-Cardiff tickets the train would not need to stop at Pilning as you are combined with a rover type ticket.

On the day where will you be starting your travel on the days you're going to Cardiff? I wonder if an excess might be possible as the Britrail may be considered an Anytime ticket to the last station in England.

Depending on where you start your journey you may need to ensure you sort your excess/additional ticket before you board the train, depends what facilities are available.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You cannot get an excess to a Britrail Pass other than for change of class. In this case you will need to buy a ticket from Pilning to Cardiff as would be the case with a Rover or season ticket.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why would you need to buy a ticket to Pilning?
Isn't this covered by the Britrail anyway?

DJ737

Thanks for the replies, by the way do I have to have a ticket from the last station in England (Pilning) or the first station in Wales (Severn Tunnel Junction) to Cardiff?

Last edited:

horizonflame

You’ll need the last station in England otherwise you’ll have a gap in your journey between the border and Severn Tunnel Junction.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The last station in England, as you will not be valid beyond that point. The location of the actual border is not relevant.

sonic2009

Established Member
The cost of an Off Peak day return from Pilning is the same price from Patchway, Bristol Parkway and a Filton Abbey Wood. So depending on which service you are travelling on just buy from 1 of the 3 stations and you’ll be covered.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’d be nice to have an impact on the passenger numbers at Pilning though.

DJ737

Hi there, back again

Can I use my Britrail England pass on a direct train from Shrewsbury to Chester which passes through Wales during the journey?
I will not be getting off the train during the journey.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ask the guard. I doubt you would have have to buy the extra ticket.

I have used these before on various ATW services out of boundary. Never been asked to buy an additional ticket.
On the day where will you be starting your travel on the days you're going to Cardiff? I wonder if an excess might be possible as the Britrail may be considered an Anytime ticket to the last station in England.
BritRail is not an Anytime ticket. It is a leisure travel product.

Status
Not open for further replies.