• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EXtension of Severn Valley Railway to Ironbridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

The SVR say on their website that the railway land north of Bridgnorth has been long since sold, and there is now no possibility of Severn Valley trains reaching Ironbridge and Shrewsbury ever again."

I wonder why they have ruled out extending to Ironbridge, with all its attractions. If they do extend to Ironbridge, families on a day out from Birmingham (or even from London on a weekend break) could get a (National Rail) train to Kidderminster, a trip on the Severn Valley Railway to Ironbridge and look in some of Ironbridge's many museums. It would therefore contribute to the economy of Ironbridge greatly, as well as reduce road traffic congestion in that area. I ask why they seemed to have ruled it out. I think it would be good to have a heritage railway from Kidderminster to Ironbridge and would be welcomed by the Ironbridge museums as it would increase visitor numbers at the museums.

Would it be feasible to extend the SVR to Ironbridge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Aren't there some issues with getting through Bridgnorth?

I would like to see it extended to Shrewsbury some day; most of the trackbed is intact.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I still have a guide book from a 1974 visit to the line. The book makes it clear that there are problems in reinstating the line to ironbridge. From memory, there was an issue with a tunnel to the north of the station at bridgnorth, as well as the economic difficulty in purchaisng back the land from a variety of landowners.

It is a sad fact that it is extremely difficult to reinstate lines where the land has already been sold off.

chris89

Established Member
It would be impossible to extend north from Bridgnorth, due to a load of houses built on previous track bed. The bridge north of bridgnorth isnt there and the road was raised since it could be, unsure about the tunnel condition though.

For the SVR would be a better choice to extend toward Stourport on Severn.

Telford steam railway may extend toward Ironbridge when the Powerstation closes as then the line will be free from heavy frieght traffic.

A lot of this has been discussed on the SVRs forums at www.svra.org.uk with a rather large topic to extend north,

Chris

chris89

Established Member
Is there parking at Bridgnorth Station? I plan to visit in July.

There is a small carpark that is used for the SVR also a Overflow carpark that is to the back of it. To get to continue to follow the Road into Bridgnorth, the first left just before the vets you turn left.

Follow the road up to the top and just near the sheds should be a field that is used as a overflow carpark.

Chris

tnxrail

Ive been told before the reasons are there is a golf course and new housing blocking part of route.

Wyvern

Established Member
<irrelevant info corner >

Only time I've been to Bridgnorth was on a troop train from Cardington.:roll:

</irrelevant info corner :lol:>

CarltonA

Thanks chris89, I'll try to find it when I get there.
I have walked the route between Ironbridge and the Hay Incline area, a good walk but I would prefer it to be still a railway. Not sure when the power station is due to close but then there may be further opportunities for the Telford railway.

fgwrich

Established Member
Ive been told before the reasons are there is a golf course and new housing blocking part of route.

Although to be fair, i do gather that the golf course regualary floods...So with some influence of money - perhaps they could be persuaded to move somewhere that is better for them, and better for the railway.

Don't quote me on this, but i think there is enough room at the northern end for a single track line through - there was some talk about extending the severn valley through via a slightly newer course (not so sure if thats peoples gardens or allotments - perhaps through there?), before meeting up with the original course nearer to the golf course?

But personally, i do hope that one day the Severn Valley could be extended north, what with Ironbridge further up the course and hopefully one day, the Telford Steam Railway meeting up at the former Buildwas Junction station (when Ironbridge power station closes in the next few years)...

sprinterguy

Established Member
While I can understand the tourist draw to Ironbridge that would benefit an SVR extension northwards, I don't think that the substantial investment required to see such an idea through would be matched by the benefits it would bring. I've walked the old line from Ironbridge and Coalport through to Bridgnorth and IMO the Severn Valley Railway already operate the best, most picturesque section of the route up the valley of the Severn. Extending further north, even if it was feasibly possible which I don't think that it is, would only serve to spread thinner the SVRs' limited assets.

Of all the preserved railways I have travelled on, I personally feel that the SVR represents the premier preserved railway, even against the likes of the North York Moors Railway, and that they should continue to concentrate their fine efforts on the Kidderminster to Bridgnorth section of line and the various well intentioned projects that they are already undertaking. The SVR is one of those lines that doesn't need any more IMO, it's perfect at the length it is.

Also, I think that the present owners of the former Linley and Coalport stations would have something to say about the reintroduction of a railway. Both of these stations have, IMO, been superbly restored as private dwellings: Coalport even has a couple of Western Region liveried mark 1s in one of the platforms, acting as holiday accomodation! :)

JoeGJ1984

Is there, instead, any prospect in getting the line re-opened from Shrewsbury towards Ironbridge as a separate heritage railway? (Obviously disconnected to the current SVR and would be run separately). I think it would be unlikely that they would run into Shrewsbury station (I think they would have to get everything mainline certified to do this), but would it be possible to create a separate platform near Shrewsbury station?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is there, instead, any prospect in getting the line re-opened from Shrewsbury towards Ironbridge as a separate heritage railway? (Obviously disconnected to the current SVR and would be run separately). I think it would be unlikely that they would run into Shrewsbury station (I think they would have to get everything mainline certified to do this), but would it be possible to create a separate platform near Shrewsbury station?
It wouldn't be possible for such a line to get beyond the outskirts of Shrewsbury: That old stumbling block that afflicts so many disused railway alignments affects this one too: New housing has sprung up on the trackbed in Shrewsbury. The A5 bypass has also not made any provision for the line to pass beneath it on the outskirts of Shrewsbury.

As others have mentioned, the best chance of a preserved rail link for Ironbridge would be the Telford Steam Railway IMO.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although to be fair, i do gather that the golf course regualary floods...So with some influence of money - perhaps they could be persuaded to move somewhere that is better for them, and better for the railway.
The trackbed in that area is pretty much flat to the flood plain there as well though: No doubt that would lead to a much inflated maintenance and repair budget for the SVR due to ballast washouts and erosion caused to any minor earthworks there might be.

LE Greys

Established Member
Having just had a look, I honestly can't see where the line went north of the station. By the time it reaches that state... :(

A triangluar service Telford-Ironbridge-Shrewsbury outskirts might be possible, with some vague chance of linking the two up one day.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Having just had a look, I honestly can't see where the line went north of the station. By the time it reaches that state... :(
If you are referring to Bridgnorth, that's because the line went into a tunnel as soon as it crosses the road :): Bridgnorth town centre is on a fair bit of a hill compared to the surrounding terrain, including the station. The course of the line beyond where it emerged from the northern portal of this tunnel on the other side of the town has been nigh on obliterated (it is still just about traceable if you know where you are looking) by the golf course and a new housing development, Bramble Bridge, for some distance.

LE Greys

Established Member
If you are referring to Bridgnorth, that's because the line went into a tunnel as soon as it crosses the road :): Bridgnorth town centre is on a fair bit of a hill compared to the surrounding terrain, including the station. The course of the line beyond where it emerged from the northern portal of this tunnel on the other side of the town has been nigh on obliterated (it is still just about traceable if you know where you are looking) by the golf course and a new housing development, Bramble Bridge, for some distance.

Aha, I get it, thanks.

aylesbury

Is there parking at Bridgnorth Station? I plan to visit in July.

Why not get the train,Chiltern to Snow Hill and then to Kiddeminster by local usualy its a short wait.At Kiddeminster the Severn Valley station is right next door. Book in advance and you will save money.I did this a few years back from Haddenham good journey .Chris.

CarltonA

Correctly spotted that I live on the Chiltern route, however I am visiting the area for a few days and staying near Telford hence the car to Bridgnorth.

philjo

Established Member
There is a bus service (no 99) to Bridgnorth from Telford via Ironbridge.

Incidentally, does anyone know if this stops near the SVR station or do I need to walk to the High Street? I am planning on getting the train Paddington-Worcester SH -Kidderminster then SVR to Bridgnorth where I will get the 99 bus to Ironbridge.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Regarding the railway at Ironbridge I would have thought it would be better for the Ironbridge line to have main line services restored. A station at Ironbridge & another one for Madeley or other part of Telford. As the junction faces east so no connection to Telford Central possible so run it either as a shuttle from Shifnal but probably best as an hourly stopper from Wolverhampton which could relieve the existing Shrewsbury stopper always very busy when I have used these) which could possibly skip a couple of stops

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.