• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extentions to day rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all, out of intrest is it possible to have an extention to a day ranger?

If so how much is a West Mids with an extention to Milton Keynes

Cheers :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
AFAIAA - you have to buy from/to the station on/inside the border of the West Mids, however you can use a non-stop as one of your tickets (the rover) is zonal.

Again- please wait for someone else to reply as I may not be correct.

nedchester

Established Member
AFAIAA - you have to buy from/to the station on/inside the border of the West Mids, however you can use a non-stop as one of your tickets (the rover) is zonal.

I am pretty sure that in the case of Rangers not Rovers the train has to stop at the change over stations.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

The train DOES have to stop with a day ranger; the train only doesn't have to call when combining a single/return or a PTE Travelcard (not TfL) with a season ticket (not PTE) or leisure travel pass (eg. rover) which is valid a minimum of 7 consecutive or 3 in 7 consecutive days.

I've never heard of extensions (although Network WM Daytrippers can have an add on to some locations) for day rangers, so you'll need to buy a single/return from any station where the train stops (doesn't have to be the edge of the day ranger area).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

But what do the rules say? (anyone can guess - but, to give you credit, at least you didn't post something clearly incorrect as 'fact' as some people have done!)

The rules say that both tickets would need to be zonal. Not just one!

It's a shame that a West Mids isn't valid northeast of Tamworth toward Burton, and likewise a Derbyshire Wayfarer isn't valid southwest of Burton toward Tamworth. If they were both valid at the same station, then I believe that would 'count' as being two arguably zonal tickets ('those tickets which permit travel only within a defined area').

An example of where zonal tickets do meet would be the Derbyshire Wayfarer and the Greater Manchester Wayfarer, allowing use of a non-stop train Stockport to Sheffield.

Established Member
Ahh righto, was planning on doing a

New Street - Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes - New Street

leap about, something which I cant do on a rtn isnt it?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The train DOES have to stop with a day ranger; the train only doesn't have to call when combining a single/return or a PTE Travelcard (not TfL) with a season ticket (not PTE) or leisure travel pass (eg. rover) which is valid a minimum of 7 consecutive or 3 in 7 consecutive days.

I've never heard of extensions (although Network WM Daytrippers can have an add on to some locations) for day rangers, so you'll need to buy a single/return from any station where the train stops (doesn't have to be the edge of the day ranger area).
Yes, a season or leisure pass valid for at least 7 days (ie, a proper 'rover' as opposed to a 'day ranger'), would be valid with non-season/leisure pass ticket(s) for use on non-stop trains.

Conditions of Carriage said:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).
If you do not comply with this Condition, you will be treated as having joined the train
without a ticket and the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply, either to the entire
journey, or from the last station where the train stopped at which at least one of the
tickets was valid.

For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes.
Only one of a), b), or c) needs to apply, so if you don't want the train to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next, then you need to look at ensuring both tickets are zonal or having one season/leisure pass ticket and the other(s) not.
Conditions of Carriage said:
APPENDIX A DEFINITIONS
(r) “Zonal Tickets” are those tickets which permit travel only within a defined
area

t0ffeeman

There used to be an extension for the West Mids between Shrewsbury and Hereford via Ludlow. However it was gone on privatisation.

A0wen

On Moderation
Ahh righto, was planning on doing a

leap about, something which I cant do on a rtn isnt it?

I can't think of how you'd do this with a day ranger. And if you're planning on using Virgin to get to MK, then you'll also fall foul of the fact very few VWC trains stop at both MK and Rugby, so you'll end up having to pay for an MK - Coventry ticket.

IIRC a couple of the 3 day rovers do extend to MKC (and also Bedford on the MML) but they will cost you more than the £ 20 that a West Mids Day Ranger costs you.......

Status
Not open for further replies.