• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extinction Rebellion transport disruption from 17/04/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
No of course not. I will stop and cause a massive jam to let an EV out, but race to block any Audi drivers!

(runs for cover)

So regardless of if the other driver has right of way or not, you’re only going to give way if they’re a EV vehicle?

How exactly is that going to work in reality?

Aictos

Established Member
What if it's an Audi electric car? :lol:

Probably just sat there confused...

Regardless of what powers the vehicle, if the road markings say you give way then you give way - just deciding to give way when you feel like it just makes you look a idiot!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have been in London during the protests. Most people use the tube, a few more walked or cycled because it was safe enough to do so. The air was so fresh in the centre, it was great to walk down usually busy roads and I didn't even see XR, just police road blocks.

I just need to pick up on this.

I have been in central London on nearly every day of the protests. The air was no different across the centre. In the immediate environs of the protests it was, of course, better than when there is traffic there. But as mentioned earlier, given that there are extensive roadworks around Westminster, and regular closures for all manner of protests and events, this is actually normal.

If you couldn’t see extension rebellion protestors, then you couldn’t have been looking for, or they’d all been hauled off. They were plain to see from the police perimeter.

AndrewE

Established Member
At all. Anywhere.
It is well recognised that when women (and hence family units) become emancipated, with security of income, health etc, then birth rates drop dramatically. The same as has happened here over the last 50 to 100 years, in fact. Pointing a finger at family sizes elsewhere doesn't excuse continuing to pollute.
The National Front would be proud to see a lot of the stuff about population and family size up-thread. It misses the point completely, while providing no excuse for not doing what we can to reduce the problem.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I passed through Liverpool Street on Friday evening after the protesters had been removed and couldn't help noticing the increase of litter compared to a normal Friday evening, looked like some of them had kicked over the newspaper stands.

Bantamzen

Established Member

And that is why Extinction Rebellion was never about climate change and why normal people will not support them, because they only want to cause suffering to normal people...

How to win friends and influence people, replicate the kind of disruption on the Tube caused by previous strikes. As we all remember, this won lots of popular support around the capital.... :rolleyes:

Let's hope that none of the muppets try gluing themselves to the third rail.

reddragon

Established Member
Imagine losing the support of commuters who use public transport. Whoops. Idiots.

As much as I support the cause of XR, I do not support this and it will cost them a lot of support from normals as seen by their reaction to the protesters!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’d have moved that DLR train at walking pace to Tower Gateway, close the station and prevent access, and let them sit it out. They’d soon be down.

reddragon

Established Member
Apparently this was not approved by XR and huge efforts were made to stop this group doing such a daft thing!

This morning the XR supporters are condemning their actions as stupid. #owngoal

AM9

Veteran Member
Everybody who claims that protests about not addressing climate change is just illustrating that they don't understand the issue. Each year the impact of global warming is becoming more invasive on the life of the global population, including the 'do nothing' deniers! Gradually, those in denial will eventually object to these impacts and (stupidly) demand that the government does something about it, which depending on how long it is before the penny drops, will need to be quite draconian. There will be no safe haven in the world, climate change is not a democratic force, so moralising about inconveniencing people now will seem like a minor irritation worth enduring.

reddragon

Established Member
Everybody who claims that protests about not addressing climate change is just illustrating that they don't understand the issue. Each year the impact of global warming is becoming more invasive on the life of the global population, including the 'do nothing' deniers! Gradually, those in denial will eventually object to these impacts and (stupidly) demand that the government does something about it, which depending on how long it is before the penny drops, will need to be quite draconian. There will be no safe haven in the world, climate change is not a democratic force, so moralising about inconveniencing people now will seem like a minor irritation worth enduring.

Absolutely right. I have spent the last few days responding to what is basically small minded selfish people who only care about themselves and have no interest in any facts or the future. Childish pickiness and Daily Mail responses. My only consolation is the decent people who have privately messaged me to thank me for standing up against you and asking for genuine advice on how to make changes themselves as quite rightly, most people are at a loss what to do.

The facts are so compelling and horrific that government is too scared to tell the truth as they fear the consequences.

There will be significant sea level rises. 200mm already, and a rise rate already over 10mm per year and the rate is rapidly increasing.
Significant extreme weather. You only have to look at the news or see what is left of Bahamas. It will get much worse.
Significant habitat loss, in particular the dead zones developing in the oceans causing sea life populations to collapse.

Change is coming weather you, oil companies or governments like it or not. Nature is seeking its revenge and it does not need us for it to prosper!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apparently this was not approved by XR and huge efforts were made to stop this group doing such a daft thing!

This morning the XR supporters are condemning their actions as stupid. #owngoal

To late. There is your goodwill gone. Great to see these silly people dragged off the train roof and give a bit of a shoeing by fed up regular people.

These people are undertaking subversive activities and should be dealt with accordingly. They seem to be given lots of rope becuase they are white middle class types. Dirty striking oiks behaving like this would be met with a robust response by the police.

Bantamzen

Established Member

And so it begins, the public backlash that was entirely inevitable. What exactly did these protesters expect? Whilst I don't condone any violence, I'm afraid it was eventually inevitable.

As much as I support the cause of XR, I do not support this and it will cost them a lot of support from normals as seen by their reaction to the protesters!

I'm afraid support was lost before today's events, what you are seeing now is as I say the backlash. Again I do not support any kind of violence, but the more they cause problems for ordinary people, the worse it will get for them. XR needs a rethink, otherwise it is over for them.

Man made climate change (let's call it what it really is) is indeed having an impact right now. But the ever more ridiculous methods of groups like XR are driving anger, and even hatred against them, and by proxy the cause they stand for. It is setting back environmental causes years, maybe even decades. The bottom line is that change will not come from people protesting on the streets, or on top of tube stock. It will only come from within the walls of Westminster, it will only come when people in business drive changes in attitudes. This only happens from within, not without. Putting it bluntly, middle class millennials desperate to find validation and massage their fragile egos will not be the ones that bring about change.

It is time for people really passionate about finding better, more sustainable ways of living to tackle this with a more mature, pragmatic and realistic approach. To change an entire society's ways will take a very long time, and it will only happen when society feels positive and engaged with what is changing. And before anyone shouts about time running out, let's be really clear here. Even if we went to a carbon neutral position tomorrow, it would take decades, maybe centuries for the climate to respond. And Humans have been impacting the environment for thousands of years, slashing & burning our way through our countries, and yes that includes Britain. There are no easy fixes, there is no easy way to change society, and there is no instant results to be expected.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The facts are so compelling and horrific that government is too scared to tell the truth as they fear the consequences.

Are you suggesting that the government knows the truth?

Even the manifesto and stated policies of the Green Party probably don't go anywhere near addressing the need to immediately address our impact on the environment.

Geezertronic

Established Member
have spent the last few days responding to what is basically small minded selfish people who only care about themselves and have no interest in any facts or the future

Firstly, that attitude is why normal people are against the stupidity of Extenction Rebellion. Extinction Rebellion are not for Climate Change despite what they say, they are for causing maximum disruption to normal people.

Secondly, just because people can see Extinction Rebellion for what they actually are doesn't mean that a) they are "basically small minded selfish people who only care about themselves and have no interest in any facts or the future", or that b) they don't care about climate change. We all should care about climate change but the small minded selfish people are those that glue themselves, make normal peoples lives a misery, and sit on top of tube trains in the false name of climate change. As mentioned before, there is a political option that can be taken but civil unrest seems to be the successful goal of Extinction Rebellion with climate change as a secondary consideration to warrant their despicable behaviour.

reddragon

Established Member
Are you suggesting that the government knows the truth?

Even the manifesto and stated policies of the Green Party probably don't go anywhere near addressing the need to immediately address our impact on the environment.

The term head in sand applies widely across all sectors in society.

This is not scaremongers, lefties or whatever but Scientist and Engineers who know facts.

The growing problem is that the advanced research is showing much scarier stuff than to peer checked published research. I get this with bridge inspections. The initial inspection shows it to be bad, but you can see its far worse but the business is not interested until the further assessments are done and confirm this. Same with this climate emergency. The assessments show significant tipping points but politician prefer to pretend they don't exist until the reports is peer checked, reviewed, delayed until after the election then published by which time we have run out of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.