• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extinction Rebellion transport disruption from 17/04/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The population growth is due to old people living longer and consuming with their relative wealth not more kids being born!
On a global scale it is down to birth rate. People can't really decide to kill themselves before their time is up (that would be devotion against climate change), but they can choose not to reproduce.

radamfi

Established Member
On a global scale it is down to birth rate. People can't really decide to kill themselves before their time is up (that would be devotion against climate change), but they can choose not to reproduce.

Our ancestors are primarily to blame for the climate change problem. For example, if our ancestors had practiced contraception, abortion or abstinence so that the world population grew to only half what it is today, then today's emissions would also be roughly half.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Our ancestors are primarily to blame for the climate change problem. For example, if our ancestors had practiced contraception, abortion or abstinence so that the world population grew to only half what it is today, then today's emissions would also be roughly half.

Balanced out to some extent by the population effect of various wars, etc.

duncanp

Established Member
People can't really decide to kill themselves before their time is up

Even if they did, no doubt there would be a debate about whether burial or cremation was more environmentally friendly, whether you should have a biodegradable coffin, and whether the emissions from a cortege made up of cars would be worse for the planet than the farts coming out of the back end of a horse drawn hearse.<D

Gooner18

Wonder if they have any idea of the knock on affect they are having with the police having to police and arrest so many

infobleep

Veteran Member
This selfish rabble of the great unwashed have no thought for people they are delaying going about their business or trying to get home from work and taking already overstretched police away from what should be their normal duties of catching criminals. Arresting them doesn't help as it just plays into their hands and just gives them more publicity.
I believe they are going about thier normal duty of catching criminals, judging by the number arrested! :grin:

Not entirely sure if switching off the WiFi network works for the underground, but maybe it did.

I'd have expected them to simply go to central London.stations with mobile data access and disrupt there.

I note that hasn't been switched off or diverted for emergency services use only. Would cause too much disruption.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So what about the 1200+ coal fired power stations China is going to build?

Once these people go home they will drive their cars, expect goods and services to be delivered and buy their phones reliant on materials dug out the ground by children.
Apparently this protest is happening around the world.

Not sure about China though as they don't do democracy.

What if we clamped down on protests like China did? Not that I'd want that to happen in reality.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Apparently the Police have no more resources / space to arrest anyone else, so are looking to book other accommodation!
XR suggested that the Police hire buses to transport those they arrest too, to speed things up.
Police should arrest them regardless of space. It would highlight police resources to the government.

Last edited:

Gooner18

Not as straight forward as just arresting them still ,due to the cuts in the Met a lot of the back room support staff have been savagely cut , that’s on top of officer numbers being cut , there used to be a unit called “CPU” ( Crime Progression Unit ) they would take all the arrests off response officers carrying out interviews etc , it would then be passed onto to NPT ( neighbourhood patrol teams , which have now been disbanded , again due to cuts ) or CID. officers now ( mostly response officers ) hold on to their crimes from start to finish , including all the Arrests being made during this protest, meaning they are off the streets for hours instead of being out on the streets taking calls.
Let us not forget that all the officers you see policing this event have been taken from boroughs , mostly from response teams again leaving these teams extremely short on numbers leading to a massive impact on how long it’s takes them to get to YOU when you need them

Mintona

Established Member
It would also needlessly produce lots of extra pollution - in particular, for diesel vehicles, particulates. Which would then be breathed in mainly by people who have no connection with Extinction Rebellion. And contribute (admittedly only very marginally) to climate change that also impacts just about everyone who has no connection to EXR. That would arguably make you, and the other people doing that, no better than the EXR protesters: Arguably worse, since at least they have an altruistic (albeit completely unrealistic) goal in mind.

That’s the point. If pollution demonstrably increased during their occupation of London it might prevent them pulling such a moronic stunt again.

deltic

Established Member
Wonder if they have any idea of the knock on affect they are having with the police having to police and arrest so many
Isnt that one of their aims to overwhelm the police so the police put pressure on government to do something as they can no longer cope?

The protest has been highly successful in getting the issue of climate change back in the public debate which is what they set out to achieve.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Isnt that one of their aims to overwhelm the police so the police put pressure on government to do something as they can no longer cope?

The protest has been highly successful in getting the issue of climate change back in the public debate which is what they set out to achieve.

I don't think they have elicited any sympathy from anyone who didn't previously agree with them.

deltic

Established Member
I don't think they have elicited any sympathy from anyone who didn't previously agree with them.

Not sure they want sympathy - they want action. Few people might sympathise about strike action but they want the issue settled if its affecting them

radamfi

Established Member
Balanced out to some extent by the population effect of various wars, etc.

Even as late as 1970 there were only 3.8 billion people in the world, about half of what there is today, so there has been no excuse for the population increase since then as the pill was invented by then. Definitely no excuse for having children in developed countries since global warming was widely known.

telstarbox

Established Member
Apparently in a small minority on here but having seen three of the XR "street" sites up close over the last few days, I think their actions are more than proportionate to the matters at stake. London has a dense street street network and other bridges across the Thames are available, so the claims of gridlock are wide of the mark. They've also delivered a Garden Bridge at significantly lower cost than Boris Johnson and Joanna Lumley :)

Completely agree however* that targeting public transport is counter productive, and it appears they've heeded the backlash on that - hopefully the action at Canary Wharf today was isolated.

*Partly for selfish reasons

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Have to say, I was at Oxford Circus today, and the Pink Boat idea does seem to have worked there. It's basically a continuous carnival atmosphere, with a lot of crowds. Made Oxford Circus a lot more pleasant than normal.

Doesn't really change that targeting public transport is pretty silly if you want to make a protest about climate change. I guess Oxford Circus is a bit mixed in that regard since a lot of buses use it - and I dread to think what effect the protest has had on those buses - but also a lot of taxis, and I have to admit I find it hard to object too much to disrupting taxis - given how harmful all the taxis (and Uber vehicles) are to central London.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not as straight forward as just arresting them still ,due to the cuts in the Met a lot of the back room support staff have been savagely cut , that’s on top of officer numbers being cut , there used to be a unit called “CPU” ( Crime Progression Unit ) they would take all the arrests off response officers carrying out interviews etc , it would then be passed onto to NPT ( neighbourhood patrol teams , which have now been disbanded , again due to cuts ) or CID. officers now ( mostly response officers ) hold on to their crimes from start to finish , including all the Arrests being made during this protest, meaning they are off the streets for hours instead of being out on the streets taking calls.
Let us not forget that all the officers you see policing this event have been taken from boroughs , mostly from response teams again leaving these teams extremely short on numbers leading to a massive impact on how long it’s takes them to get to YOU when you need them
Which is why they should continue to arrest them as something will go wrong somewhere and the police can use it to highlight why they need more police.

Whether the government would listen I don't know.

Greg Read

I heard one of the 'protesters' interviewed on the Radio today, he was asked if he knew that he might be arrested for what he was planning to do, in which he replied, 'Yes' and that he expected to be arrested at some point during the day, but that would be worthwhile and a small inconvenience to him, but the impact that he would have being arrested would be immense both around the World and to the Government !

As for gluing your hands to a DLR train, or a door to a building, one does wonder what they learn at Uni !

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The single biggest thing that we can do to slow climate change is to not have children. I wonder how many of the protesters have signed up to that?

Umm, that sounds a bit like chopping off your leg to save your foot. Isn't one of the points of stopping climate change that we want to keep the World pleasant to live in for human beings in the future. If you don't actually produce the human beings then there's not much point stopping climate change since there won't be anyone to enjoy the climate-change-free Earth (and non-human life will go on as always... just with probably different species becoming dominant as a result of climate change).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Even as late as 1970 there were only 3.8 billion people in the world, about half of what there is today, so there has been no excuse for the population increase since then as the pill was invented by then. Definitely no excuse for having children in developed countries since global warming was widely known.
The problem is we aren't dying young enough. Medical science is allowing eople to live for longer. One solution would be to find ways to get more people to die. Perhaps anyone with a serious long term medical condition shouldn't be treated. That would include myself of course. I'm not seriously suggesting we do that, I'm just highlighting a point.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

The problem is we aren't dying young enough. Medical science is allowing eople to live for longer. One solution would be to find ways to get more people to die. Perhaps anyone with a serious long term medical condition shouldn't be treated. That would include myself of course. I'm not seriously suggesting we do that, I'm just highlighting a point.

Have to admit, I'm not sure I really want to live in the kind of World you guys seem to be arguing for...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I refuse to go down without a fight!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Have to admit, I'm not sure I really want to live in the kind of World you guys seem to be arguing for...
I wasn't seriously arguing for it but I'm stating why we are growing larger, along with one rather drastic solution which to be fair I don't support. I'd probably have died by now were it not for medical science.

There is a theory though that the developed world being more hygienic lead to me being ill in the first place.

Either way we need to do something but I'm not sure protesting in this way will work.

If it does work then I'll acceot I was wrong.

radamfi

Established Member
The problem is we aren't dying young enough. Medical science is allowing eople to live for longer.

Even if no one died in the last 50 years, if no children had been born in that period we would only have half the population that we have now. Therefore the primary problem is people having children.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Same here. I've survived this long and my life is too enjoyable right now to want to depart this life.

If nothing else, I'd miss my declassified first class travel.
I spent an hour this afternoon in a rather uncomfortable bending position while a neurologist attempted to take spinal fluid from my back and she kept saying 'you will tell me if I'm hurting you, won't you?' and I kept replying that I would, knowing that I wouldn't unless I felt it was killing me, because I desperately wanted the results from the procedure: I hadn't the heart to tell her the local anesthetic wasn't working because it never does with me, but luckily I have a high pain threshold, apparently. In the end, she found an appropriate place and concluded by saying it was the longest lumbar puncture procedure she'd ever done, because she'd never had to try so many different spots as her patients would all have cried off well before then. So I'm not going to run up the white flag, hope you're not either!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Time to bring back the fast track courts used in the aftermath of the riots a few years ago?

Give out some proper punishment rather than slaps on the wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.